Gearing issue

thehighwayman
thehighwayman Posts: 19
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Ok I'm still getting issues changing gear I've changed my groupset from a 8 speed sora with triple truvativ on front to a 9 speed sora groupset with a double shimano spider and fsa rings front changes loverly the rear is being a pain no matter how many times I index it I've changed cables I've set limits screws and it still won't change nicely the rear mech hanger is new it's only really been rubbish since I changed the group set is it a possibility that a 9 speed cassette would fit a a 8 speed hub as I'm just wondering if that could be the problem any help would be good

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Check your gear cable is routed round the correct side of the clamp bolt. Been there, done that..
  • Another thing as well when setting the low limit screw I could unwind it all the way with out it dropping in the the rear stay I'm sure that's not ment to happen
  • imposter2.0
    Another thing as well when setting the low limit screw I could unwind it all the way with out it dropping in the the rear stay I'm sure that's not ment to happen

That's probably because that side of the cassette is governed by the 'H' limit screw, not the 'L'.

L = big sprocket (ie 25 or 28, etc)
    H = small sprocket (11 or 12, etc)
  • tsarouxaz
    tsarouxaz Posts: 70
    wait, what exactly did you change? shifters?cassete? rear mech? you don't mention so we can help.
  • Ok sorry shifters rear mech front mech and shimano crank
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Did you replace the inner and outer gear cables? Check the condition of the chain stay to RD loop in particular.
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Another thing as well when setting the low limit screw I could unwind it all the way with out it dropping in the the rear stay I'm sure that's not ment to happen

Just because the mech hanger is new doesn't mean it's aligned. Even if the hanger itself is straight (and not all of them are from new) it may not sit at the correct alignment in your particular frame. This would cause all the symptoms you describe.

Pick up a hanger alignment tool or get a decent shop to check and realign it.
  • Ok another thing I've literally just noticed is both the new chainrings have 10/11 marked on them could this be an issue as it's 9 speed
  • imposter2.0
    No. Have you checked the thing I suggested yet?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Did you change to a 9 speed cassette? If not, then it's never going to work...