New Commuting Shoes

Stevo C
Stevo C Posts: 132
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
Hoping to tap into the hive mind - I'm after some new shoes for commuting duties

I prefer to use SPDs for commuting, for a variety of reasons - ease of clipping in, cleat wear, being able to walk around etc

For the last 4 years I've been using a pair of Shimano Touring shoes RT82 and they've served me well - if Shimano did a model above, I'd probably buy them (fancy an upgrade)

Appreciate any suggestions on what to look at?

cheers

Steve
cheers

Steve

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    How about Giro Republic or, if you really want to stand out, Giro Empire VR90?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Blimey £200 for commuters !

If the Shimano have worked for you - I'd straight swap them. £50 for 4 years worth seems to be too good to pass up.
  • smthompson
    smthompson Posts: 18
    I just bought a pair of Giro Privateer R after reading Bendertherobots review https://roubaixcycling.cc/2017/04/28/giro-privateer-r/ and they are really great shoes for the price, much better than the Mavics they replaced. I got the grey/orange from wiggle for £87, I was too tight to pay the extra for the lovely blue ones. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-privateer-r-off-road-shoe/.

Thanks for the review Bender...
    Mason Bokeh
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 2014
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Lovely they are
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    How about [...] Giro Empire VR90?

My commute shoe of choice, but then commuting is most of my mileage and my feet love them. Helped to have got them at a crazy low price and they tone nicely with my new Bokeh

(#humblebrag)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    food for thought, all the above.....as I've just noticed that the sole of my spesh bg shoes has cracked around the cleat...thought they were feeling a bit odd on the way in; 6 maybe 7 years usage
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936
    Well my past Sidis lasted 14 years, and I still use them in Winter as I don't walk far then. The soles eventually wore out. I got Drakos. Expensive? Yes, but if they last 14 years...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    Specialized S-Works Mountain Bike shoes with carbon fibre soles do the job very well. Admittedly they were 70% off in a Cyclesurgery sale and the only pair left was my size so would have been rude not to.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I got a pair of Louis Garneau Slate MTB shoes on a decent offer. They really do seem like bliss, much like the Specialized MTB that preceded them for 10 years....
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Following this with interest as my 8 year old Specialsed Tahoes' fabric has started to go in a few places.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Mavic Crossmax pros for me - light and stiff and fit my absurdly high arches.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I always use SPD's too. I tend to swap between a Shimano MTB type shoe i.e. with recessed cleats in the winter and a Shimano road shoe (but still with MTB cleats) in the summer.

The recessed cleat means I can walk around normally inside my office or go up and down stairs without fear of the cleats slipping on whatever shiny surface we we seem to use in all stairwells in my office building.
    FCN = 4
  • Stick with the RT82 shoes, you'd have to go for carbon soled MTB shoes at least double the price to get an upgrade, and even then you probably wouldn't notice it.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    To be honest as long as the sole is rigid enough and the shoe fits you properly it doesn't really matter. Cycling shoe sizing is so variable your best bet is to go for a shoe manufacture where you know the sizing (length and width) works for you and stick with them.

I agree carbon soles aren't really all that noticable to be honest. I have 2 pairs of northwave SPD shoes one of which is carbon soled and the other isn't. I can't really tell the difference in terms of comfort or power delivery. I have a liking for the northwave shoes as they seem hard wearing and you don't have to size up if you have wide feet. In fact my cycling shoes are actually smaller in size than my regular footwear as the shape of the northwaves suits my feet far better. ;)

I'd never go with road cleats for commuting (or any sort of riding to be honest) as I've never had any comfort or power delivery with SPD even when going out for day long rides and they do make walking around places a lot easier.

Mike
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    mudcovered wrote:
    I have a liking for the northwave shoes as they seem hard wearing and you don't have to size up if you have wide feet. In fact my cycling shoes are actually smaller in size than my regular footwear as the shape of the northwaves suits my feet far better. ;)

cheers for that tit bit, I've never tried northwave shoes, but with the islands I have for feet i'll go hunt out a shop that stocks them.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...