Brakes for small hands

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited August 2017 in Workshop
My friend has a 2014 Trek Lexa. Sora components. She has the usual of problem of small hands on the brakes. I'm trying to be a hero 8). More confidence = more cycling.
Now, there's the matter of better calipers. 105s would fix the overall braking.
As a disk man I don't know about "better" blocks. Is that a real thing?
What about women specific levers? Do they exist?

Edit: "braking" - not "Breaking", which is often the result of not braking

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Not sure if sora have it but some brifters have a adjustment screw that moves the levers in and out to accomodate smaller/bigger hands. Have a said on the net and see what happens.

Re pads: loads of threads on here - last one was a couple of weeks ago so do a quick search.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    I am too nice to people.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13079834

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • royalmile
    royalmile Posts: 17
    Shimano make adjustment blocks for some of their STI levers which can be used to reduce the distance between the brake lever and fingertips. I have them fitted to my Ultegra levers.

Part numbers for Sora 9 speed are:
    Y6VX98090
    Y6VY98070
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Lever reach adjustment will be buy a screw or spacer depending on model year.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Bought shims for Sora from SJS last week, do a great job and easy to fit.
  • pbassred
    Reset!
    Firstly, I was wrong about the shifters. They are Claris 2400. The calipers are Lee Chi RC469.
    Secondly I didn't realise that the leverage/gearing of the calipers is so variable between models/years. A 105 5700 is different from a 5800. I don't get this chart at all: http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/2.2?q=claris&cid=C-453&acid=C-454.
    ...... and then there is tiagra. Worth a shot?

Could someone tell me what works?
  • Matthewfalle
    I may be misreading your post but are you looking at buying new calipers? If so, why not just buy Claris:

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-cla ... r-EV197015

Also bear in mind - is she actually fly enough for you to go to all this bother for?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    So the STI's are Claris 2400, the newest matching Claris capiler is the BR-R2000, though these do not feature cartridge type brake pad holders. For those you would need to choose 5700/5800/6700/6800. 5800/6800 were designed with 30% more braking power, ideally used with the matching STI's, though would probably be an improvement over the Lee Chi RC469.
  • pbassred
    I may be misreading your post but are you looking at buying new calipers? If so, why not just buy Claris:
    Well, I was looking for a performance upgrade to compensate for how little strength she has over she has over a short travel.
    Also bear in mind - is she actually fly enough for you to go to all this bother for?
    Another excellent point. Taken in such stark terms my cake shop answer would be: "No woman is! Its up to da bitches to work up to my level otherwise I'd always be cleaning up after them, so I wouldn't waste that time chasing tail" :twisted:
    However, since we are human, she's a friend. She's also my wife's friend. She rides a bike. Hopefully if I demonstrate how reasonable human beings behave, I won't need to listen to her appalling boyfriend choices. 8)

So anyway ..... still looking for stopping power.
  • pbassred
    Update:-
    Having bought a set of Tiagra R4700s I finally got over to fitting them last weekend (months, yes). Only to find that they don't fit/ It needs a long drop caliper. Probably looking for some R451 on R650s. What is an A550? an older model? Is it a mudguard thing?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Another thing to consider is to adjust the brakes so that they bite when the levers are nearer the bars (give them a lot more free play before the pads touch the rims). That is, her hands will be more closed into a fist when she needs to put real pressure through the levers. Bear in mind that you don't want to have the levers touch the bars and you'll need to check them regularly to make sure they don't get too close to the bars as the pads wear.
  • pbassred
    cheers guys. The game continues.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    These work a treat and will enable the Tiagra callipers:

http://www.bdopcycling.com/BDop%20Offset%20Holders.asp
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D