New freehub dragging/spinning crank (Novatec F482SB)

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Confused me this one, replaced the freehub yesterday due to the cassette nibbling away at it. Change was easy enough and removed the grease from the hub side, cleaned off the machine oil from the freehub an pawls an put the same TF2 grease in I serviced the old hub with.

Now when I spin the crank up an release it, the freehub is still engaged and spins the crank, you can stop the pedals an can hear the pawls going round in the hub and it does release at low speed and run normally. The only physical difference between the hub bodies is the old one is a 3pawl without a dust seal and the new one is 4 pawl with a seal.
Could it be the extra pawl or spring tension on the new freehub?

Comments

• graememacd
    graememacd Posts: 386
    Might be a bit too obvious but is the hub body designed to be used with 4 pawl? especially if its been used with 3 previously
  • step83
    I did query it with Novatec they said it will accept either 3 or 4 pawl freehubs. If you purchase a new hub from them it comes with the same one I purchased

http://www.eshop.novatecwheels.eu/categ ... a4abg-11s/

This is the free hub body I purchased, all I can think is the springs are being very springy an it'll settle with some wear.

http://www.eshop.novatecwheels.eu/categ ... e-shim-11/
  • graememacd
    The free hub bearings went on my F482SB-SL hub which created the kind of situation you've mentioned. Obviously yours is new so this shouldn't happen but I know from experience the bearings they use are made from cheese. I had to replace the main hub bearings in mine after about 150 miles
  • step83
    Hmm may swap the bearings out then the original freehub is a rebadged one from Superstar an they fitted SKF bearings (can see the labelling in the hub body) might be worth a go. Thanks for the heads up on that.
  • graememacd
    No worries, good luck! other than changing the bearings they've been pretty good hubs in my experience
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    It's clearly not a bearing problem...

By the sound of it, you have something that compresses the outer bearing of the freehub and does not allow it to spin freely. Most likely the hub cap you are using is meant for a different freehub... did the new freehub come with a hub cap?
    left the forum March 2023
  • step83
    No it was just a hub body that came through. Ill have it apart again tonight to look at whats happening.
  • step83
    Well, prize plum award for me, free hub has a dust seal, old dust seal was wedged into the hub body. Hooked out the extra seal, problem solved :oops:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Step83 wrote:
    Well, prize plum award for me, free hub has a dust seal, old dust seal was wedged into the hub body. Hooked out the extra seal, problem solved :oops:

Yeah, that happens too... double seal will jam the freehub...
    left the forum March 2023