thursday the tempest

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    hopkinb wrote:
    Anyone interested in my results from lunchtime?

Also started to hydrate and carb up before tonight's race - hoping to peak properly plus have enough glucogen to combat lactate.

Gels x2 : check
    Energy drink x2: check
    Energy bars x2: check

Ready to go!

I find myself needing more lactogen to combat the glucate these days. I think that's because my FTP is in the low thousands, and I broke the whole Zwift the only time I tried it. I also can't go on a turbonator because I screw up the rotation of the planet, such is my power. Look upon my quads, ye mighty, and despair.

Are you taking the pisss in a lighthearted and harmless manner that is quite amusing and passes the time in a nice way for us all?

I sincerely hope not otherwise I'm going to report you for being a BIGOTED TROLL.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    What do you guys reckon - single sided or twin power meter? Not sure what would best for my Zwift racing training.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    What do you guys reckon - single sided or twin power meter? Not sure what would best for my Zwift racing training.

Get both. And a powertap wheel. Attach them all to your bike. You will have THREE TIMES as much power as someone with only one power meter. You will also break the Zwift like I did.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321

I think you should do one (politely).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425

Also started to hydrate and carb up before tonight's race - hoping to peak properly plus have enough glucogen to combat lactate.

Ready to go!

X6 fast acting carbs is not carbing up in advance as this is fast acting all will be wiped out by your correctly functioning pancreas, you need complex carbs with fat to aid slow release to avoid excess insulin rush and save your fast acting carbs for 15 minutes before the off...but what do I know :roll:

My part of the studio is now shaping up nicely...

02B7568E-52E9-43A5-9882-55773333C550.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

Been debating myself, still no idea.

Highly interesting afternoon spent fishing around some guys rather suspicious laptop, long story short hes been fired an a couple others suspended, if your going to run dodgy software an use your laptop as a fileshare server don't raise a ticket for slowness and poor battery life!
  • Matthewfalle
    Right - final 45 minutes - am soooooo excited. Cat 3 racing on Zwift - such fun and such a challenge. I don't know why I bothered with the road stuff: it's dangerous and hot out there.

I've had 4 espressos and 3 nervous wee wee's but I'm wearing my club kit so all good.

I'll have a can of Red Bull before we start.

Next stop new club's club run on Sunday!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    team47b wrote:

Ready to go!

X6 fast acting carbs is not carbing up in advance as this is fast acting all will be wiped out by your correctly functioning pancreas, you need complex carbs with fat to aid slow release to avoid excess insulin rush and save your fast acting carbs for 15 minutes before the off...but what do I know :roll:

My part of the studio is now shaping up nicely...

02B7568E-52E9-43A5-9882-55773333C550.jpg

Cool masterbatouriom. Like something Hugh would have for Mrs D.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Step83 wrote:

Been debating myself, still no idea.

Highly interesting afternoon spent fishing around some guys rather suspicious laptop, long story short hes been fired an a couple others suspended, if your going to run dodgy software an use your laptop as a fileshare server don't raise a ticket for slowness and poor battery life!

What did he have on it? Any norks?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:

Get both. And a powertap wheel. Attach them all to your bike. You will have THREE TIMES as much power as someone with only one power meter. You will also break the Zwift like I did.

That is a bloody good idea - consider it done.

Right : may buy some new kit. Does anyone know if Rapha has got any deals on? I hope not as I want everyone to know that I'm a real cyclist because I paid full retail.

Might also get a biff chit from work so I can grow a beard.

Told everyone at work today about me racing tonight. They were really impressed.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hopkinb wrote:

Ready to go!

I find myself needing more lactogen to combat the glucate these days. I think that's because my FTP is in the low thousands, and I broke the whole Zwift the only time I tried it. I also can't go on a turbonator because I screw up the rotation of the planet, such is my power. Look upon my quads, ye mighty, and despair.

Are you Cat 3? It sounds like you might be.

It's the sort of people like you that means I'll get shelled out of the back even though I have a power meter - damn you.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170

Annoyingly no, just remote desktop software, LDAP software (change his rights on the network) a TOR client (dark web crap) some torrenting software and he was using it as an FTP server
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb wrote:

Ready to go!

It's the sort of people like you that means I'll get shelled out of the back even though I have a power meter - damn you.

I'm the top cat. The rinky dink panther. My palmtrees groan with monuments, classics, grand tours, third overalls on flat Strava segments. Peter Sagan kinda wishes he was me.
  • pinno
    I don't think anyone is listening T47.

Anyway, the loft space is looking good. Do you have to stoop to see out of the window or have I got the scale wrong?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    hopkinb wrote:

Ready to go!

You all need the oakleys, like me. Otherwise you're all w@nkers. Incidentally, I saw two hipsters standing on the same corner tonight and another single speed, trackstanding hipster at a red light. Suffice to say, he started crying as I sped past him. Also, he was not wearing oakleys and his bike was a rubbish one.
  • Matthewfalle
    Step83 wrote:

Annoyingly no, just remote desktop software, LDAP software (change his rights on the network) a TOR client (dark web crap) some torrenting software and he was using it as an FTP server

Are those real words?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    First Zwift race completed - won it. Too simple.

I thought this Zwift stuff was meant to be tricky?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Step83 wrote:

Are those real words?

Message from the dark side I hear.
  • Garry H

Did you use the disc wheel, like I recommended?
  • pinno

He raced in the 6-9 year old category.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:

He raced in the 6-9 year old category.

Who did? I might do that race tomorrow.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Garry H wrote:

Did you use the disc wheel, like I recommended?

I always take your recommendations Garry and yes I did - deffo added top end but was tricky in the sidewinds.

My tubs didn't fall off though.

I must that it did give me all the adrenaline and nitty gritty of racing on the roads.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

Are those real words?

Message from the dark side I hear.

If I read them backwards will they make sense?

But I gather no norks?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Hopkinshopkinshopkinshopkins advice also worked, so for that I give him props and a big hat.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Question: if I fit aero bars to my bike when Zwift racing on a normal road race, will I go faster and will I be breaking any rules?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    Hopkinshopkinshopkinshopkins advice also worked, so for that I give him props and a big hat.

3 power meters? Good man. 4 next time.
  • hopkinb
    Question: if I fit aero bars to my bike when Zwift racing on a normal road race, will I go faster and will I be breaking any rules?

Wear a pointy hat and a skinsuit and have 5 power meters. And deep wheels. All's fair in the Zwift.
  • Garry H
    And those shite calf things the triathletes wear and a sixth power meter. Then a support vehicle.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    hopkinb wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Lovely ride in. Whatever I did to the bike last night has stopped the squeaking. Sunshine, victory in a quick race with a chap from commuting and then a female roadie initiated a conversation with me at a red light by Elephant and Castle. I don't think a woman has ever started a conversation with me, let alone on the commute. Things can only go downhill from here. :D
    We're both in tax and both ride in via The Elephant & Castle. Spooky. I've never been chatted up at The elephant, mind you - I'm usually pedalling too quickly to get TF out of there.

No pain and not too much cost this morning so back into the office routine for now.

If you ride up the CS7 to get to Elephant then we have even more in common.

"Chatted up" would be something of a wild overstatement. "Spoken to" would be much closer to the truth, but for this 43 year old with something of a "sprinter's physique", I'll take anything I can get.
    Nope, don't use the blue paint network. I head up from Bromley via East Dulwich & Camberwell.

Mind you, falle is wrong about the pub conversation. Double dipping is more interesting than people think :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I won a race this evening, real life on the road 'cos I are hard core. Went to get the EPO's bike from the station, picked up some shopping and bought her a bunch of flowers and a bottle of plonk. Riding back and I get to a set of lights and a chap on a hybrid barges across the front of me and races off as the lights are changing. Caught him up quite easily and sat behind him with the Sturmey Archer freewheel clicking loudly as I coasted. This seemed to bother him so he sped up. So I cracked on and rode past with flowers and shopping in the basket, gave a cheery "evenin" as I clicked into 3rd and cruised away. Childish, but very satisfying.
    The thing is, what kind of power meter works with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed?