Handlebar and stem fitting problem

CycleMore
CycleMore Posts: 5
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,

I just bought a new handlebar and stem (sperate from each other) with both the same dimensions (31.8), but they don't seem to fit. (there is some room left when I tighten those 4 bolts on that lock plate on the stem).

(I will try to add some pictures a bit later).

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

Laurens

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Are you doing the bolts up correctly - i.e. Diagonally (top left a few turns, bottom right a few, top right a few, bottom left and so on)

Don't do any one up all the way and the the others otherwise it'll pull it all out alignment and leave gaps and potential route dead disease to enter your life.

POp some piccies on as well.

Big gap? Small gap?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    The face-plate (that fits on the front of the handlebars) will have a gap (~2mm-5mm) between it and the stem. As mentioned above, do the bolts up incrementally in a diagonal fashion. Try to make the gap between the face-plate and stem equal top and bottom.
    Don't over-tighten.
  • CycleMore
    Thanks guys for the fast response.

I believe I did all you suggested. I always make sure to tighten bolts one after another and every time a little bit more.

The amount of room is significant.
    I did make a picture, but I highly doubt if it clarifies this. It just shows that the bolts are a little bit tightened, and doesn't show the fact that they are already as tightly boosted as they should be (well, almost, as I definitely don't want to over tighten them.
    (I havent got my torque wrench here atm, which I always use to ensure proper tightning to the correct torque.
  • CycleMore
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qkx4nuBv0AdWx1UG5hUGdfYUE/view

The room between bolts and plate/handlebar on the bottom is almost as big as this one...
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    I would have said that as long as your handlebars are clamped tight, then that's OK.

Pete
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    The gap is correct and nothing to worry about.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Where did buy the bars and stem ? Are they genuine or fake ? or some chinese generic parts ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If smaller than that gap I'd go for it.

then again, if you get dead disease, I said nothing.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Completely normal :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • CycleMore
    Thanks again for the replies.

I have never seen any road bike with a stem that does not fully sit on the handle bar.

So if that face plate is not fully bolted on to the stem and if the handlebars are firmly mounted, there is no need to worry then I guess.

I'll definitely post my experience after mounting stem and bars after a few rides.

Ride on!

Laurens.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The time to worry is if you don't have a gap; could mean the bolts are tight but the faceplate isn't clamping the bars. All mine have a significant but uniform gap. Bars never budge.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've only come across one stem where there is no gap and that is the Uno where one side does up tight (and has an interlocking form) and the other has the gap.

If you've not seen any with a gap it probably means the same idiot has done them all up wrong!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.