Mixing Shimano Groupset Components

liammews10
liammews10 Posts: 4
edited July 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

After abit of help, I currently have Shimano Claris on my bike and although the groupset is doing the job, I've been advise to try shorter cranks to improve my fit.

I have found some well priced Tiagra cranks, but just wondering if they would work with the Claris components? Chain or BB complications possibly?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    So long as they match the b/b (only you can tell this as you haven't told what you currently have and what the new crank is) then yes, no problem at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    To tell the truth though, you won't notice any difference due to length.

But that's opening up another box of slugs, so let's not go there here - do a quick search on opinions of this and you'll see what I mean.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,711
    To tell the truth though, you won't notice any difference due to length.

But that's opening up another box of slugs, so let's not go there here - do a quick search on opinions of this and you'll see what I mean.
    Well, he might, but unlikely. I don't know about you but I can certainly feel the difference with the little short cranks you get on gym equipment.

Either way, its unlikely to make very much difference unless its a fairly extreme change - such as dropping down to 165mm or upping to 180mm, from the usual 172.5. I fear however that someone has suggested 175's or 170's, which is just not going to be noticable.

I guess the question is why change crank length to adjust "fit"? There's an argument that leg length should be matched to crank length, but there's not even much correlation amongst the pros - i.e. its personal preference. Its also sometimes suggested to help with joints.

"Fit" is more associated with seat position, seat post position, stem length and height, etc.

Where's the advice coming from?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Crank length certainly can make a difference for many people. Some can't tell the difference but others (like me) can tell the difference of 2.5mm longer or shorter. Only way to know is to try them yourself. In very general terms in addition to sizing for leg length shorter cranks suit spinners (fast cadence) and longer for grinders (slower cadence, more powerful) but again, that is just a very loose rule and riding experience is the only way to know what suits you.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Crank length certainly can make a difference for many people. Some can't tell the difference but others (like me) can tell the difference of 2.5mm longer or shorter. Only way to know is to try them yourself. In very general terms in addition to sizing for leg length shorter cranks suit spinners (fast cadence) and longer for grinders (slower cadence, more powerful) but again, that is just a very loose rule and riding experience is the only way to know what suits you.

Being able to tell the difference when you know what cranks are fitted and being able to tell when you don't know are not the same thing though. You may be able to tell 'blind' but I'm a bit sceptical that most people who say they can tell within a few mm could do so if they were unaware of the crank length they were riding (assuming the same saddle to pedal distance).
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • interestingly (to me as a road newbe anyway) road bikes all seem to be specced with parts from the same groupset, all claris, all 105 etc.
    MTB's are a complete mishmash unless high end and even that is not guaranteed.
  • I’d like to re open this topic about mixing Shimano components. Forget different crank length. I am getting a new frame and want to swap my Claris components over (can’t afford new groupset as well) but want to ditch the square taper bb and unbranded crankset I currently have. Rather than get a Claris crankset would I be able to fit a tiagra one and will it work with the 8 speed components. I have been told you may need to change the chain as well. Is this true? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I’d like to re open this topic about mixing Shimano components. Forget different crank length. I am getting a new frame and want to swap my Claris components over (can’t afford new groupset as well) but want to ditch the square taper bb and unbranded crankset I currently have. Rather than get a Claris crankset would I be able to fit a tiagra one and will it work with the 8 speed components. I have been told you may need to change the chain as well. Is this true? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

Tiagra chainset and HT2 bottom bracket should work just fine with the Claris groupset, chain included
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Possible to successfully mix and match Shimano with Campag components too.