Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Frame size- 20/22''

cottonmouthcottonmouth Posts: 10
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, im about to order this after getting my head round the blue and accepting blue into my life

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

question
i am 6 foot tall, will the 20'' be enough or should i get 22''

i know i should go to Halfords and test some out but i just cant be bothered to go

is there a definite way to judge the exact size of the frame i need ?
or should i follow a measure guide online ?

iv seen that the 20'' is recommended for my size but im a little unsure

• mattyfezmattyfez Posts: 638
    Difficult to say, I'm 6'3 and have a 22" carrera, but it's obviously a different frame.

I'd guess a 20" for you but you really need to sit on one.!
  • cottonmouthcottonmouth Posts: 10
    yea, all the guides say 20'' will be good for me
  • mugensimugensi Posts: 558
    I have a 21" Cube LTD 29er and I'm 5'11.75". I fitted a 60mm stem and the bike is absolutely perfectly sized for me, anything smaller and I would have felt cramped on it.

I'd go and at least sit on a 20" and 22" and see which feels best (as Halfords wont let you test ride their bikes except in-store which is pointless and usesless)
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would sit on both and see. Having a bike that is way too big or way too small is no fun.
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,790

i know i should go to Halfords and test some out but i just cant be bothered to go

Then you won't know which is the best fit for you!

The size of bike you need depends on not just your height: inside leg measurement, torso length and arm reach all come in to it.
    Get off your censored and go and try a couple.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mattyfezmattyfez Posts: 638
    As said you really need to sit on one.
    Comparing frame sizes from different frame manufacturers is pretty pointless. A 20" frame from brand A might feel bigger than a 20" frame from brand B.

Also you might want to go up or down a size depending on personal preference. You just have to try them for size.
  • cottonmouthcottonmouth Posts: 10
    i hear ya, im going to Halfords today

im still not 100% on the blue,,i really want the Bantu for the black & yellow/green colour
  • MTBerSurreyMTBerSurrey Posts: 52
    I am 6ft and have a 20" Carrera Fury. I find its a perfect fit, if it was bigger I don't think I would be comfortable. The Fury and Hoodoo where up against each other in my local Halfords and both looked very similar at 20" in terms of sizing.