Help me identify a chain

trivial_poursuivant
trivial_poursuivant Posts: 1,136
edited May 2017 in Workshop
I took my bike into the shop for a BB change and wheel balance a few days ago. Before it went it it was running smooth and apart from the odd squeak from the BB it was fine. Riding it today It just somehow seemed rough. The gears needed indexing so a quick adjustment and it got a bit better but not perfect. I get home to look at the chain and "It's not my chain!!!"

I had an 11 speed Ultegra chain on which I bought as part of a complete group set that runs between my Ultegra chainset and Ultegra cassette. Now I seem to have a Shimano chain of some description but I don't know what. It has printed on the various links either VIA , HG-X11, Shimano CN-HG701 or just a 10 (or 01) but nowhere does it say Ultegra which I know my chain did. The shop even had the audacity to charge me for a rear brake cable which was not a job I asked to be done. But I let that slide as I thought it was £6 and they were just being helpful if a bit out of order in doing so before asking me.

I know this is probably the same or similar to the chain that was on it but I don't know how old that chain is or how much wear it's had. It must have some miles in it as it' feels so rough on the jockey wheels and cassette. Certainly not as quiet and effortless as the chain was pre service. Any ideas on what this chain actually is?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any pictures to help?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Any pictures to help?

I have a pic but it's a pita getting it off my iPhone. Needless to say it just looks like a chain with the links having the above mentioned stamped into them but no 'Ultegra'

There are a lot that just have 10 or 01 it's hard to tell on them - to see this you would assume it's a 10 speed chain but that would no doubt not work on an 11 speed cassette. It is though quite noisy and very rough sounding as I spin the crank in all gears. I would have rang the shop if I had got home before they closed as I am am furious.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    HG 701 is an ultegra chain. They tend not have the name of the group set on the chain.
  • Webboo wrote:
    HG 701 is an ultegra chain. They tend not have the name of the group set on the chain.

I thought it might be but mine definitely did have Ultegra on it on most of the links. I fit it myself when I built the bike up from scratch. This chain could have hundreds of miles on it compared to mine. It feels horrible. The whole drivetrain just does not feel at all smooth.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I don't have an Ultegra chain but do have a Dura ace one which doesn't say Dura ace on it. Just Shimano and various numbers. Try googling it and ones that are for sale do not appear to have it written on.
  • Webboo wrote:
    I don't have an Ultegra chain but do have a Dura ace one which doesn't say Dura ace on it. Just Shimano and various numbers. Try googling it and ones that are for sale do not appear to have it written on.

I think it is the same 'variant' as the one I had just not the actual one if you know what I mean. Just going to have to ring shop and ask what happened to my original chain. This thing could be old.

Cheers for the help
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So you didn't ask them to replace the chain and they haven't charged you, but you think they have fitted a used one for some reason? Why would they do that?
  • keef66 wrote:
    So you didn't ask them to replace the chain and they haven't charged you, but you think they have fitted a used one for some reason? Why would they do that?

What I think has happened is they have either put the wrong one back on in a busy workshop or something. It wasn't new. It was filthy which the one I had on wasn't. I keep my chain quite clean and regularly lubed. I scraped off the gunk and what I saw was not my chain As I remember it.

I won't be going back. The wheel does not feel like it has been trued properly. It still judders slightly under braking. The issue with the chain and being billed for unwanted work and parts (rear brake cable). I usually do all this stuff myself apart from the wheel truing. I built this bike up completely myself and it was quiet and a joy to ride. I take it to a professional only as I didn't have the time to do it myself and I am unhappy with the work. Gears I had to reindex, this is billy basic stuff.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    Webboo wrote:
    I can't remember seeing it and was curious so had a quick Google:
    CH603C00.jpg
    It's even in the instructions:
    2s00djr.jpg
    But I still don't get why they would fit another chain or how they got two confused. OP, if shifting was better before and you know yours was fairly new I'd ask them to give you a new chain. Do you have a chain checking tool to show the one you have is worn?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    I can't remember seeing it and was curious so had a quick Google:
    CH603C00.jpg
    It's even in the instructions:
    2s00djr.jpg
    But I still don't get why they would fit another chain or how they got two confused. OP, if shifting was better before and you know yours was fairly new I'd ask them to give you a new chain. Do you have a chain checking tool to show the one you have is worn?

I know that it is an Ultegra chain. It is just not the one I had on. I have looked online many times and at other chains. TBH I'm probably just going to put a Wippermann Connex on like so ran on 10sp DA. The wear is within tolerance not overstretched but it's the principle. I'm not really bothered about discussing it anymore. I'm going to swap out the chain and move on. End of the day, I know what I had and what is there now are not the same.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Did you ever go back to the shop and ask them the score?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Did you ever go back to the shop and ask them the score?

Nah m8. Would rather sh1t and hands and clap than go back. Gonna just replace chain and move on.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    In the motor trade any parts they take off are your property. Years ago we had to start putting bits in a bag and leave in the car. Luckily I had just finished building up my new engine ;-)
    Don't know if it applies here, but if ever I took my bike in anywhere I say all my parts are marked and I want all old parts back, and in writing.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.