MTB, hybrid, or 'other' for Dad of young sons

Damo79
Damo79 Posts: 2
New to the forum, and not sure if this is the right area to post. I am looking for some advice on type & quality of bike to invest in. I am looking for a general purpose bike that is flexible to cover the growing years of my sons over the next 10 years (child seat capable & gentle off road now, to trails in a few years time - I have 3 boys!). I can't decide if I'm better off going for a hardtail MTB or a hybrid. There is the potential for a 10 mile commute next year (river tow path), but really it's for family fun than an intended purpose. I have my eye on the Carrrera MTBs or the Boardman Sport at Halfords, or the Specialized CrossTrail at Evans. My budget is £3-500,
But I can't help but think I'm throwing a Ferrari at the problem when a Corsa will do.
Any experienced advice/guidance gratefully received!

Comments

• Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    300-500 is no longer Ferrari territory with bikes.... (by a long long way) but the analogy is good.
    Just to put context a single "ferarri" grade wheel will cost a lot more than £500 ... or a new crankset etc.

"child seat capable & gentle off road now, to trails in a few years time - I have 3 boys!"

However ... I only have the one boy but I can give you my experience starting off with the Corsa
    You can then decide if you make the same mistakes as I did .....

When he was a toddler I got a Corsa "hybrid" - about £300 and fitted a child seat
    We had some good times riding round what was the then local park/open space (Bushey park) but a lot less than I'd expected - the child seat scratched the frame up

Where I now live has miles of cycle paths and woods (though I moved here when the lad was 4) and we started a few rides on the hybrid once he got a 20" wheel bike. 3-4 weeks into this we rode 10 miles to a local country pub (canal towpath) and his mum drove out to pick up him and bike but we had a pub lunch and he decided he was riding back..

The cycle paths turned out to be a lot less useful than I'd thought... at least with a kid because they tend to end where the most dangerous parts are. This is just something "UK planning" ... the roads were never designed for cycle paths and they are a afterthought... and quite often a little hill has a house or something the road winds round etc. .. anyway, that's just how it is... but it's a real pain with even 1 kid once you start riding 5+ miles (and they do this really quickly)
    (Even the towpath has various points you have to get off and push along busy roads)

So we ended up going offroad... however depending what you want I'd say find a local place where you can ride without traffic.(for us even if it meant driving to get there).. for us it turned out to be Swinley which has miles of single track... the intention was riding the firetrails which are more like a towpath but in no time we were riding the technical trails

The hybrid was completely out of its depth (and getting wrecked) in weeks ... kids progress SO FAST..... I bought a used hardtail XC bike and from 7 that has been replaced with a full suspension (all used except the original hybrid)

My take out... you never know what your kids will take to .... my non-sporty 4-5 yr old (he wasn't unfit just average 4-5yr old) is now competing in regional XC races and getting podium positions... and is incredibly fit... He's dropping plenty of adults when we ride weekends and had my fitness not increased as his did he'd be dropping me...

I would really recommend you buy used .... back to the car analogy....
    to cover the growing years of my sons over the next 10 years .........child seat capable & gentle off road now, to trails in a few years time - I have 3 boys!

"It" doesn't really exist ... but if you get a decent used bike you will be able to sell for what you pay....(more or less) as your kids take to one thing or another.
    Experience wise I'd skip the hybrid and go for the HT straight away if your intention is to ride trails in a few years... they grow so quickly... it will seem like yesterday when you look back :D

My intention was riding cycle paths .... I'd not thought he'd take to single track ... (though I'm happy he did) but for all you know they might get into road or any other type of cycling.