buying new CAAD12

veskox
veskox Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello can somebody help me with choose right size on Cannondale Caad12 i`m a 1,75m and Inseam length 81 im not race just ride for pleasure now i ride MMR Grip size 54 (toptube 56 seattube 54) and i feel little big but little and for new bike i want to give right size in my country only online buying and for this can`t wrong :) i thinking 52 or 50

Comments

• I have a CAAD 10.
    1.73m
    79cm
    Size 52 is perfect for me.
    Tried a 54 but too 'stretched' [ no idea of my arms length which is relevant I know]
    Didn't try a 50.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    52 or 54, you should road test them, if unsure.
    left the forum March 2023
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    I'm 180cm ish, not sure what an inseam is but I take 32 inch trouser legs (which is just over 81cm) and I've got a 56cm CAAD12 which suits me perfectly, but I had a lot of work to do on the saddle position to get it right. What's the return policy like? Could you try them and return it if no good?
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    I must be very very strange as I have a 56cm CAAD12 and am only 5ft 10 and it feels fine :?
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I'm 5'10 and ride a 54cm CAAD10 and a 54cm CAAD9 before that if that helps.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    riggsy81 wrote:
    I must be very very strange as I have a 56cm CAAD12 and am only 5ft 10 and it feels fine :?

I think we're all very, very strange. Apart from me, I'm normal.

:wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    just bought a CAAD12 frameset in 54, I have a Scott CR1 SL and a Cervelo R5 in 54, all the rest of my bikes are 56, Trek, Ribble(s), Dolan etc. i'm 5'9" but seem to fit a 55 which not a lot of companies I like make, I went smaller on the more expensive bikes because its just a matter of finishing kit to bridge the gap, the Trek I tried both and the 56 just fitted.

All a bit like buying clothes really no two companies are alike
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I'm 175cm (5'9") and have a 55cm Cannondale Six13 with a 110mm stem.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I am 5ft 2in tall and have a 58cm CAAD12............(way to big, but I have one)

What I am getting across is you can't listen to others on a forum like this and get the 'correct' answer that works for you, unfortunately.

CAADs tend to come up slightly 'large' compared to other manufacturers, based on Top tube measurement, so best to size down if unsure.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Always found it easier to fit on a bike that's too small with a longer seatpost and stem than the other way round.

Looks better too, which is a bonus.
  • veskox
    veskox Posts: 3
    After my calculation on my current bike setup saddle is on 71 cm from the center of BB we have a 5 cm saddle 5 cm seatpost- saddle management this is 10 cm on size 54 seattube is 57 cm + 10 = 67 total and remains 4 cm on the size 52 seattube is 56 cm it`s almost the same 5 cm. Is my calc wrong i`m not sure but i think visually will be ugly like old roar bike
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Always found it easier to fit on a bike that's too small with a longer seatpost and stem than the other way round.

Looks better too, which is a bonus.

Unless you need a stack of spacers which looks awful.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    veskox wrote:
    After my calculation on my current bike setup saddle is on 71 cm from the center of BB we have a 5 cm saddle 5 cm seatpost- saddle management this is 10 cm on size 54 seattube is 57 cm + 10 = 67 total and remains 4 cm on the size 52 seattube is 56 cm it`s almost the same 5 cm. Is my calc wrong i`m not sure but i think visually will be ugly like old roar bike

My saddle height is 73.5cm and I ride a 54 CAAD10. The CAAD12 has slightly different geometry though and as pointed out above you can't just take what works for someone else and assume it'll work for you. I judged this size would work for me based on the stack and reach figures.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC