The wealthy elite spared gaol.

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited May 2017 in The cake stop
Lavinia Woodward a medical student at Christ Church college Oxford assaulted and stabbed her ex boyfriend in a drink and drug fueled rage. The judge Ian Prince QC stated that this offence normally carries a custodial sentence but she should be spared this as she is too bright to go to prison and must be allowed to continue her studies and pursue a promising career as a surgeon.
Lavinia Woodward was absent from court as she was on holiday in Milan with her mother (see photos of Lavinia climbing into private jet for said jolly).

I would suggest that darling daddy and Judge Pringle QC are obviously in the same lodge or members of same gentlemans club in London.

Note. Christ Church College have distanced themselves from judges comments. And close friends of this delightful girl have stated that she had a coccain habit.

Bet the judge wouldn't afford the same leniency to a working class afro caribbean student training to be a care assistant.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    She has not been sentenced yet.
    She is getting a lot of adverse media coverage.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    The whiny post from the OP has opened my eyes to the fact that we have been spared the usual pricing up of the family home or any details about the size of the families wealth or even where she went to school, not even a "former public school girl"

Maybe we should drag this thread OT and figure out what and why is being hidden from us.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    The whiny post from the OP has opened my eyes to the fact that we have been spared the usual pricing up of the family home or any details about the size of the families wealth or even where she went to school, not even a "former public school girl"

Maybe we should drag this thread OT and figure out what and why is being hidden from us.

I suggest you read your back copies of The Guardian. They and other newspapers are of the same opinion.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • surrey_commuter
    Mr Goo wrote:

I suggest you read your back copies of The Guardian. They and other newspapers are of the same opinion.

I really dislike the politics of envy.

How do you know she is rich? Why do you have no interest in the media giving no details of her background?

FWIW is worth I think she should be slung out and disbarred but that is because she is a nutter not because of how Welthy her family are.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    She has yet to begin her training as a surgeon, she is not actually training as one she just says she wants to.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    How do you know she is rich?

She's called Lavinia!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    FatTed wrote:
    She has yet to begin her training as a surgeon, she is not actually training as one she just says she wants to.

Well she's already shown shes handy with a knife. :roll:

Those old enough might remember the "Guinness scandal". In 1990 Earnest Saunders was convicted of fraud in connection with manipulating the figures to make Guinness company look better than it really was to facilitate a takeover. He was sentenced to 5 years in prison. However, he then developed "pre-senile dementia", supposedly incurable, and was released after just 10 months due to an appeal based on his health. He then made a full recovery and went on with his career in business.

Anyone want to put a guess on how many 'poor people' would get away with that?

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I don't think for a moment she should get any special treatment, I also don't think a person with a drug problem should be allowed into the medical profession.
    The bit that made me laugh was that I read the thread title and immediately knew who the OP was. That, and special mention to Pross' comment about her being called Lavinia.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Also, are we back in the 19th century with the use of 'gaol' or is someone just trying to prove their Britishness? I'm pretty sure jail has become the recognised spelling even in British English!
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross wrote:
    How do you know she is rich?

She's called Lavinia!

that could be seen as council
  • surrey_commuter
    Why is nobody else interested in the fact that the DM et al are not putting up pictures of the family home and pricing up all the assets. There are references to the mother is Milan but not a lot else.

By all accounts she is incredibly clever - ie if she qualified she could cure heart disease.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Fact checking
    I thought we'd had enough of experts and facts. :wink:
    Now, where's my pitch fork?
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    The woman's life (both present and future) should be hugely impacted as a result of her actions ... a lesson for her and a warning to others ... the fact that she herself had been a victim of abuse and had issues with drugs but seemed to have learned nothing from those experiences so ended up where she has tells me she's not as smart as she and the judge seem to think ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • bendertherobot
    Have a read of the piece above and let us know what sentence she should get on the basis of the facts.
    edited May 2017
    The same as some young apprentice painter/decorator from Croydon who continues to run around with a bad crowd and violently injures someone with a deadly weapon whilst off his face ...
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    What good would be gained by shoving her off to jail? or anyone else with a drug addiction? that ll become worse once she gets a taste for Spice etc.

The guy she attacked got punched and a small knife wound, take your anger out on the guy who recently ran over and killed a child in a hit an run and got 4 years (out after 2 years) or the Rochdale child abusers who (apart from 2) are out out of jail now.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    type:epyt wrote:
    The same as some young apprentice painter/decorator from Croydon who continues to run around with a bad crowd and violently injures someone whilst off his face ...
    So you didn't read it, then.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
    Who's angry?

Actions have consequences, in this instance the impact on her may be higher, but she maybe should have thought of that ...

Plus, what educational establishment would allow her to continue her studies unhindered? What about the safety of the other students (some of whom are buneranle adults)?
    rjsterry wrote:
    The same as some young apprentice painter/decorator from Croydon who continues to run around with a bad crowd and violently injures someone whilst off his face ...

I did, and concluded that the law will be applied (often to varying degrees), but common sense likely may not ...

And less of the snippy tone would be appreciated ...
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    It would be interesting to read the victim's personal/impact statement. If, for instance, he has pretty much forgiven her and his injuries are not long-lasting, it would have a significant affect on the sentence passed.
    An early guilty plea would also help.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bendertherobot
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... ce-9834153

First google result. Male supermarket attendants with suspended sentences.
  • bendertherobot
    It would be interesting to read the victim's personal/impact statement. If, for instance, he has pretty much forgiven her and his injuries are not long-lasting, it would have a significant affect on the sentence passed.
    An early guilty plea would also help.

An early guilty plea is crucial. It gives credit of 1/3 reducing the entry point of 3 years (IF this is a Cat 1 offence) to 2. The level at which a suspended sentence is possible.

I suspect this is actually a Cat 2 case.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

I did, and concluded that the law will be applied (often to varying degrees), but common sense likely may not ...

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post, put it seemed fairly dismissive of the blog's point that there isn't any evidence of special treatment.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post, put it seemed fairly dismissive of the blog's point that there isn't any evidence of special treatment.

I'm not arguing the blog's point ... I'm offering my opinion that the law should be more stringent in cases like this ... She chose to get boozed/drugged up, she then chose to pick up a knife and stab someone ... hardly a case of 'accidents happen ... The fact that she has history from both sides of the coin of abuse/drink/drugs should count against her, not be a mitigating factor ... especially for a supposedly 'bright' woman ...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

The most relevant piece of information in this is the lack of information - the public do not know the extent of the injuries which could range from a knife scratch to a deep wound.

This bit needs some more facts. A tired and lazy view would be to suggest that the secret barrister is middle class and white.
    That is not to deny that unconscious social or racial bias plays a part in judicial decisions; basic neuroscience teaches us that it does, to some degree at least. But the suggestion that this exceptional course is only ever reserved for the Prom Queens (or whatever our British equivalent is) is tired and lazy. The reason you don’t hear about the suspended sentences handed down for less photogenic defendants – for the 19 year-old lad starting his apprenticeship, or the 48 year-old mobile hairdresser – is mainly because the media tends not to report on them.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:

The most relevant piece of information in this is the lack of information - the public do not know the extent of the injuries which could range from a knife scratch to a deep wound.

This bit needs some more facts. A tired and lazy view would be to suggest that the secret barrister is middle class and white.
    That is not to deny that unconscious social or racial bias plays a part in judicial decisions; basic neuroscience teaches us that it does, to some degree at least. But the suggestion that this exceptional course is only ever reserved for the Prom Queens (or whatever our British equivalent is) is tired and lazy. The reason you don’t hear about the suspended sentences handed down for less photogenic defendants – for the 19 year-old lad starting his apprenticeship, or the 48 year-old mobile hairdresser – is mainly because the media tends not to report on them.

IIRC one cut was steri-stripped and the wound to the leg needed a couple of stitches at the scene, but no trip to A&E.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Posh, hot and psycho, my normal type....I don't much care if she's even a qualified surgeon yet, or off her face, let her operate on me I say.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

IIRC one cut was steri-stripped and the wound to the leg needed a couple of stitches at the scene, but no trip to A&E.

Sounds like more than a scratch then (assuming what was reported is correct which is something of a giant leap of faith)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'd smash her.

Imagine her in a lab coat. Now you're talking. TDLWAS.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.