LEJOG and newish to cycling!

Bountybar
Bountybar Posts: 10
edited May 2017 in Women's cycling forum
Hello!
This is my first post on here and really wanted to ask if any ladies could give any top tips for long distance cycling - the kind of distances that mean you have (possibly foolishly) agreed to cycle the length of Great Britain with (possibly even more foolishly) just your husband!!

https://leblogoflejog.wordpress.com/
(If you'd like to see how training is going)

We're carrying everything with us and staying in b and bs. I'm starting to make lists, but bearing in mind we're cycling approx 100 miles a day would love tips on what really are non-negotiables to pack with us.

If anyone has done this I'd love to hear about your experience as well.

We're going in July, so still have a few more weeks to train and prepare.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Blimey. That's some challenge you've set. There are other challenges you could do - coast to coast. London to Paris that might not be such a jump for you.
    Would it not be easier to do the challenge at the end of the summer holidays​ ? Then you have a lot more time to get rides in. If your true speed is about 7 mph and that's unencumbered by luggage then you have your work cut out.

There are plenty of resources out there to help you. Although I don't think you can do it all on bike paths and choose your roads carefully. There's some roads I'd not be keen on myself.

Oh there's a clip on radio 4 about women and cycling too. Googling will find it. It's a doctor talking about women's saddle problems.
  • herb71
    herb71 Posts: 253
    Credit card, phone, cash and travel light.

Good luck!
  • Bountybar
    Thanks Cougie!
    Unfortunately (or fortunately- whatever way you look at it) my husband has a unique sense of humour and makes me out to be more of a newbie than I am!
    Will check out the clip on radio 4 - thanks.
    Alison
  • Bountybar
    Thanks Herb71.

Sounds like my usual airport check of 'passport phone wallet'.

Any tips on lightweight clothing/waterproofs?

My husband is all about minimalising the weight and I'm also looking to post clean clothes ahead to various places and then post bits home!!

Thanks again.

Alison
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You're talking about 1000 miles of cycling - so 10 centuries in a row. I'd have thought at least two pairs of shorts - one wearing -one drying. Same with tops.

Non cycling kit can be quite minimal I'd have thought. Flip flips or crocs and light shorts and a tee shirt ?

Picking up packages and sending them off again sounds messy to me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd use the shopping bike, collect pretty flowers and catch a train when you get fed up.

But I'm a bit of a pussy. That's one serious ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bountybar
    I really wanted to use the basket bike - that would be an epic achievement!

Thanks for all the top tips.

Has anyone actually done it?

Friends of ours did it last year, but they cheated and started at John O'Groats and freewheeled all the way down!! They also had a two car entourage of friends and family to carry all their luggage etc.

We spent two weeks cycling around Northern Spain last summer - so I have a bit of an idea - but again we had nice people to carry all our luggage.

The next few weeks we will cycle longer and longer over the weekends and also be mixing the long distances up with various park runs as well.

Thanks for all the support. I need some new cycling shorts - any recommendations for best padding for long distance. I've got castellis at the moment - but they do bunch a bit!!!

Alison
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's something I've planned to do when I retire and holidays are plentiful.

Couple of pals did it - self sufficient - they were experienced bikers and didn't find it easy - any weight on the back was an issue - so keep the stuff on the bike rather than any back packs. Cornwall is full of lumpy roads - it's a tough start to the ride. Scotland the weather deteriorated - as may be expected 1000 miles further North.

Travel light and plan the route well.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    What sort of mileages are you riding at the moment? I can manage 100 mile days OK, no idea how I'd be by day two or three though. I've become a fan of chamois cream or other lubricants to ease the chafing (or, put it on before the chafing starts).
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/udderly-smooth-chamois-cream-227g/

Lejog is certainly on my bucket list! I've friends who did it in 8 days on a tandem, so it's that sort of mileage + a bit every day. I think a tandem makes a lot of sense for a husband and wife team who might otherwise end up in the divorce courts. :roll:

Good luck!
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Lots of info here: https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.p ... 217a4c6423

If you are heading to Scotland in midge season don't forget to take some repellent........
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Bountybar
    Fenix wrote:
    It's something I've planned to do when I retire and holidays are plentiful.

Couple of pals did it - self sufficient - they were experienced bikers and didn't find it easy - any weight on the back was an issue - so keep the stuff on the bike rather than any back packs. Cornwall is full of lumpy roads - it's a tough start to the ride. Scotland the weather deteriorated - as may be expected 1000 miles further North.

Travel light and plan the route well.

Thanks Fenix! I've heard about the lumps in Cornwall - one of the reasons we wanted to do it this way round - get them under our belts in the first few days.

I'm a teacher so hoping to do this the first two weeks of the summer holidays and then spend the remainder horizontal on a sun lounger soothing my aches and pains! I'll definitely feedback on here and let you know how I get on!

Alison
  • Bountybar
    craker wrote:
    What sort of mileages are you riding at the moment? I can manage 100 mile days OK, no idea how I'd be by day two or three though. I've become a fan of chamois cream or other lubricants to ease the chafing (or, put it on before the chafing starts).
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/udderly-smooth-chamois-cream-227g/

Lejog is certainly on my bucket list! I've friends who did it in 8 days on a tandem, so it's that sort of mileage + a bit every day. I think a tandem makes a lot of sense for a husband and wife team who might otherwise end up in the divorce courts. :roll:

Good luck!

Thanks Craker . I cycle commute every day and have just run the London marathon. I cycled London to Canterbury with no problem last weekend and will be double long distancing every weekend from now on!

We've just stretched out the Cornwall part over another day as well so breaking in gently at 70miles a day for the first 3 days. We also have a two night stay half way up in a spa hotel - so we've allowed 2 weeks in total. I'm hoping that's leisurely enough!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I did London marathon this year too but it doesn't really help with cycling. I would have been better off spending time on the bike.

I'd want to be building up the miles on the bikes now - especially with the nicer weather. Miles in the legs can only help.

Why not ride at the end of the Summer holiday though ?
  • Bountybar
    cougie wrote:
    I did London marathon this year too but it doesn't really help with cycling. I would have been better off spending time on the bike.

I'd want to be building up the miles on the bikes now - especially with the nicer weather. Miles in the legs can only help.

Why not ride at the end of the Summer holiday though ?

Congratulations on the marathon? How did you get on? It was my first - was lucky to get in through the ballot.

I disagree slightly about marathon training not helping with cycling. I think my stamina has greatly increased and my overall fitness and core strength. What I've noticed since the marathon is no knee pain on cycling (which I used to get) and reduced lower back aches.

I'm not underestimating the enormity of the challenge though and will pack in as much training as possible.

Can't go at the end of the holidays due to family commitments - plus would like some recovery time before returning to work!

Have you stopped wearing your marathon medal yet? :D