First road cycle

merlin40
merlin40 Posts: 26
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
Hi guys I'm a newbie here and looking for advice/help etc, I've never rode a road bike before, mountain biking yes but not road, in a few month I'm going to be cycling round about 68 mile down and looking for tips and anything you can help with regards excersize beforehand also diet tips etc, what my ideal weight should be etc, anything u can help with would be great thanks guys.

Thanks guys

Phil :D

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Phil,

So many question....lets break it down a bit.

Where will you be riding 68 miles?
    When?
    Ideal weight? - too many variables.
    Diet? ditto.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you're overweight - cut down on the eating - its the only way. You cannot do enough exercise to lose weight if you're shoving too much in.
  • dhungerf
    dhungerf Posts: 65
    You need to ease into it, that being said, get used to sitting in the saddle and riding. 68 miles is not a big ride, but if you are not prepared your butt, neck and shoulders will give you some trouble. What is the pace that you will be riding? will you be riding with others? Bring plenty of water, food, basic roadside repair supplies. Don't over do it

Have fun
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    Oh yes ... and you will need a bike, and it will need to fit you. Its quite important that it does. Lots to read about on the forum. Were you planning to ride afterwards?

Your ideal weight should be zero. The less you have to lift over a hill, the better. If its not zero, get it closer to zero. I have never seen a thread that starts with "how do I gain weight?". If you need to loose weight, cycling will help since its a low impact exercise. There are more scientific methods than simply riding a lot. Also be aware that you need to fuel your ride and eating the right food at the right time afterwards is also beneficial.

Unlike mountain biking, the positioning is more fixed. So you will need to get used to that. Also you may want to adjust the bike as to find out what suits you. Start out with shorter slower rides and add more miles also with more targeted exercises (hills, sprints etc even if you have no ambition to race.)

If its any benchmark at all:- I have a Cyclocross bike that I've been riding on the road/trails for about a year. In February I got a little more serious. By may I rode a 75 mile route and in 4 months I lost 3KG without living like a monk. Loosing that weight changed how comfortable I could be in a more aero position. I have changed saddles 4 times.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    TBH if you have a mountain bike now - then ride that as much as you can on the road.

Changing it to slick tyres is a big help. You can do 68 miles on a mtb but it will be easier on a good fitting road bike.

Basically dont wait for the perfect road bike before you begin training. Go out this weekend a couple of times and bank miles.