converted from 3x9 to 1x9 issue

glenandem
glenandem Posts: 28
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
bought a cube attention with no front derailleur or shifter so thought id strip the slx crank off and just leave the middle cog on which is a 32t.
fitted it all back together and 2 issues when i freewheel (pedal) it backwards the chain falls off and the second issue when i drop down to the smaller cogs at the back the chain seems to go mega slack at the bottom.
do i need to take some links out the chain to stop this issue?

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    You could definitely have a look at chain length now and run a chain that is perfectly sized only for the 32T up front and the cassette in place at the back.

Also worth considering replacing the 32T with a narrow / wide 32T chainring to avoid future chain drops too which might be the issue with the freewheeling. It'll be bouncing all over the place, hence getting dropped (assuming there's nothing else at fault which is causing those issues).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • glenandem
    cheers pal, i ended up taking 4-5 links out and its sweet going up and down now, only issue is when i pedal in reverse the chain jumps off, doesnt jump off any other time though!
    wondering if a clutched rear deraileur would help maybe?
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    Firstly chainline - sometimes, you need to move the chainring a bit closer to the frame using spacers. Check some online tutorials.

Secondly, you'll either need a chain guide or a narrow/wide chainring.

Thirdly: Yes, you need to shorten the chain.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    glenandem wrote:

I don't believe there is a 9 speed rear with clutch.
    If there is, I'm all ears as I'm about to go from 3x9 to 1x9 as well (with a narrow wide ring :wink: )
  • larkim
    NW ring should sort your back-pedalling issue. For £20 it's the easiest option to try too.
  • reformedfatty
    reformedfatty Posts: 543
    Uber_Pod wrote:
    glenandem wrote:

I don't believe there is a 9 speed rear with clutch.
    If there is, I'm all ears as I'm about to go from 3x9 to 1x9 as well (with a narrow wide ring :wink: )

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=9+speed+clutch+mech
  • larkim
    So, which product is the 9spd clutch mech? Lots of reports of 10spd mechs working OK with 9spd shifters, but I didn't spot any clutch mech 9spds in the search results?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I had my old MTB converted a while back to 1x9 no chain catcher, but a Narrow wide Crankset, plus a newer derailleur though non clutched i.e. Shadow not shadow plus.

The original shifter was quite worn, so did sometimes cause the chain to jump if it was a poor change, but since fitting a new shifter been fine, the bike admitted has a fairly easy life now, i.e. No jumps and what not.
  • glenandem
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for all the replys guys I'm thinking I'll try the narrow wide ring first, where's the best place to get one and is it worth going to 34t from 32t?
  • larkim
    If you're happy with the gearings that 34T gives you, no reason to change. If you think that you might need a slightly easier low gear then 32T (or even 30T) would help, with the downside of losing top end speed.

You need to know the BCD of the crankset (easy enough to measure - likely to be 104mm but could be 94/96mm).

e.g. http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CROOTHTH/o ... -chainring
    e.g. http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/chainr ... s-19-c.asp

I have one of the Works Components ones, no dropped chains so far.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    larkim wrote:
    So, which product is the 9spd clutch mech? Lots of reports of 10spd mechs working OK with 9spd shifters, but I didn't spot any clutch mech 9spds in the search results?
    Erm, exactly......

You,can use a SRAM 10 speed clutch mech as a 9 speed using Shimano shifter, as above there is no '9 speed with a clutch' rear mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • LimitedGarry
    Shimano mech and SRAM shifter is the way it works. Or do both work?
    Also, I've seen a bike using this (Shimano Zee mech, SRAM somethingsomething shifter) and it had some spacers where the cable is attached to the derailleur.
  • larkim
    The Rookie wrote:
    larkim wrote:
    Erm, exactly......

You,can use a SRAM 10 speed clutch mech as a 9 speed using Shimano shifter, as above there is no '9 speed with a clutch' rear mech.
    I should have quoted the LMGTFY link etc. That was my point - there is no 9spd clutch derailleur available to buy, though success is reported with the 10spd/9spd combo referred to.
  • LimitedGarry
    You wanted to act like a prick about confirming what the user already knows. It doesn't contribute to the topic in any useful way. Instead, you got people to click on your link thinking there actually are some legit 9sp derailleurs.
  • larkim
    Sorry, Garry - that's uncalled for (assuming I'm the target here). I didn't post any links, that was "reformedfatty". Assuming you are referring to me as the "prick"?

I was responding to reformedfatty who posted a "let me google that for you" link about 9 speed clutch mech, which I think was unhelpful (particularly when not accompanied with any explanation).

A previous poster (Uber Pod) had (rightly) pointed out that no such thing existed. It seemed to me that "reformedfatty" was disputing this by posting the lmgtfy link, when in fact what that search confirms is that no such piece of kit exists.
  • LimitedGarry
    My bad. I thought you were the one posting the link. Have a beer on me.
  • larkim
    Supping gently now :-)