Beginner upgrades

Ricky_m_11
Ricky_m_11 Posts: 10
edited May 2017 in MTB beginners
Hello. New to mountain biking so thought I'd pop on and say hello. I've started with a rockrider 540 seems a nice bike done some off roading few hills and trails and seems to be quite a sturdy bike. Upgraded the handle grips to lock on ones. Got some Hutchinson tyres. The forks feel a bit soft can you stiffen them so they don't go down as far? Or upgrade they are suntour xcr and would only have about 100 if I was upgrading

Comments

• Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Ideally you want the fork to use as much of its travel as possible without bottoming out. After all, there isn't much point it being there if you aren't using it.
  • Ricky_m_11
    Yer I get that just it has bottomed out and wasn't jumping anything too big. Maybe technique wasn't right though as only done it once then I've got a bit better use my legs a bit more
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Have you set the sag on the forks, if so what did you set them at.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    robertpb wrote:
    Have you set the sag on the forks, if so what did you set them at.

It's a coil fork, can you set sag on coil? There should be compression adjustment though, making the compression stiffer should help.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    There's a preload knob on the left hand fork (when you're on the bike) but experience suggests that these don't have a huge effect.

You're going to be limited with a fork upgrade to second hand for £100 or so though. Stretch to £200 and there are some options, though by that sort of price point you might as well be selling the 540 and seeing if you can track down a Trott MTB1 or similar.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Ricky_m_11
    The preload doesn't do much turned right up. Might get some stiffer springs seem them for sale online. Going to do some trails at hamsterley forest tomorrow so I'll see how that goes then see what I want to do as I like the bike just think the forks let it down
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SR-Suntour-Raid ... Ce1vw_wcB# I think would be a decent upgrade meeting the spec of a straight steerer and an air fork for a 27.5 wheel.

Upgrading the components of a Suntour XCR isn't really likely to be bring a huge amount of benefit I don't think - they aren't great forks, and its not just the coils letting them down.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)