New bars

joel222
joel222 Posts: 9
edited May 2017 in MTB general
Hi, I ride cross country only for fun, nothing major just easy trails. I find that I'm stretching too much to the handlebars so was thinking of buying a new set with more of a rise. My current ones do have a rise but I'm thinking a bit more would help. Is this something that anybody else has experienced, and what is the largest rise that people would normally go for?

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    What bars and stem length do you currently have?
    Are you also sure that the current bars are rotated correctly so that you are getting full value of sweep?
  • joel222
    The length of my stem is approx 100mm and the bars have approx 30mm rise. I have them slightly tilted back over, thinking that it will shorten the reach slightly. When I ride on flat ground I tend to rest my finger tips on the grips rather than my palm for more comfort.
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    If reach is an issue I would think about going for shorter stem first.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Your saddle could be too far back, but saying that a 100mm stem is pretty long in this day and age.

You could buy a cheap 50mm stem and see how you get on.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like you have the wrong size frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joel222
    The exact measurement for the stem is 150mm overall, 100mm from the bolt in the centre where it fits the frame to the split in the centre of the handle bars. I've moved the seat forward which makes it feel a little better. The frame is 17 inch and I'm 5ft 6
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    A shorter stem for sure. 100mm is a lot by today's standards. Try out a 60-70mm stem. If it's too close, you can still move the seat back.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    100mm may be long by today's standards, but the frame size will have been set for that length, bikes with shorter stems tend to have a longer ETT to give a similar cockpit length (allowing for the effective shortening created by wider bars).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.