Why is Pantani revered and Armstrong hated ?

Comments

• smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I'll take the sociopath over the pirate schtick anytime.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    mfin wrote:
    Show a little respect people, Lance Armstrong is clearly the greatest cyclist in history.

Well, he saw Sheryl Crow's boobs, so I suppose - to a certain extent - he's got that over us.

Imagine if he had seen TDNFNATN's boobs.....
    However he is so empathic he dumped her when she got cancer in them.
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518
    For me it is all about the racing. Armstrong turned the TDF into a boring procession, Pantani lit up the race. I doubt there was anyone in the peloton in those days that wasn't doping, just Armstrong did it better with more single-mindedness.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    For me it is all about the racing. Armstrong turned the TDF into a boring procession, Pantani lit up the race. I doubt there was anyone in the peloton in those days that wasn't doping, just Armstrong did it better with more single-mindedness.

I agree with this. Pantani danced along the line between success and failure. Armstrong never seemed to entertain any risk. If you're going to cheat, at least do something entertaining with it (Floyd Landis' testosterone-fuelled rampage is still one of my fondest memories, partly for the sheer idiocy of trying to get away with it).
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    7465532722_b13b501bf1_b.jpg
    As an American coming over and playing a European sport, I was in a different position. I was on the other side, not part of the ingrained culture and seen by some as the outsider. Pantani was right at home, he was on his turf and he was the main man. If I was the carpenter, then he was the artist. He had all the panache in the world, all the panache you could fit into a small climber, and I, if I'm honest, didn't have that.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/arm ... he-artist/
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    In the years before Pantani, GTs were won by TTs. Pure climbers didn't get a look in. Then along came Pantani who could put mins into other riders in the mountains, and still lose minutes in the TTs. It was a contrast and it was exciting. He also managed the nearly dying routine plus comeback which always helps with popularity.

A modern day equivalent, in some ways, would be Dumoulin. All GTs are currently won by climbers, so winning in TTs is different.

Armstrong won easily, raced one race a year, had a really really strong team, was good at everything (TTs, mountains etc.) and was generally an unpleasant person.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Yeah, the losing time in the TT and still winning bit is quite important.

Armstrong usually won both TTs and MTFs.

As does Froome, etc.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Most of this happened before my resurgence in interest in cycling, I'm pretty glad I missed it all to be honest. I think if I had watched LA for years on end I might never have come back to cycling when I did. I had never heard of Pantani until a few years ago, so not sure what all the excitement was about.
  • rick_chasey
    Most of this happened before my resurgence in interest in cycling, I'm pretty glad I missed it all to be honest. I think if I had watched LA for years on end I might never have come back to cycling when I did. I had never heard of Pantani until a few years ago, so not sure what all the excitement was about.

Have you not seen this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocv78XS2Lw
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    No one has yet mentioned Indurain. Again a rider who is feted but who is suspect.........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Svetty wrote:
    No one has yet mentioned Indurain. Again a rider who is feted but who is suspect.........

Not in the same league, my friend. Not particularly feted, suspected but not proven or caught (yes I know).
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • TheBigBean
    I think the pre-crash stuff was when he gained lots of fans. Take the 1994 TDF for example.

In stage 9 of the 1994 tour, this was the top 5. Almost half the field finished over 12 minutes behind Indurain.
    1. Miguel Indurain: 1 hour 15 minutes 58 seconds
    2. Tony Rominger @ 2 minutes
    3. Armand de las Cuevas @ 4 minutes 22 seconds
    4. Thierry Marie @ 4 minutes 45 seconds
    5. Chris Boardman @ 5 minutes 27 seconds

I don't know how much Pantani lost in that TT, but by stage 11 he was 15 mins behind. By Paris he had moved up to 3rd on GC, won the young rider contest and finished only 7 mins behind. He did this by taking time on every single climb.

Also, note that that year he finished 2nd in the Giro ahead of Indurain. Again, by taking lots of time in the mountains. Will we ever see the same two riders on the podium of the tour and giro in the same year again?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Also, note that that year he finished 2nd in the Giro ahead of Indurain. Again, by taking lots of time in the mountains. Will we ever see the same two riders on the podium of the tour and giro in the same year again?
    Probably not due to the overwhelming commercial importance of the Tour these days and the rarity of riders doing both. However, we did see the same two riders on the podium of the Tour and the Vuelta last year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    Alp d'huez in 1995. Managed to nearly go the wrong way at the end, but still clocked 38 mins.

Also noteworthy how many motorbikes and cars there are. Much talk of this being a recent problem, but it's fairly chaotic in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNB8fKFmiek
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Probably not due to the overwhelming commercial importance of the Tour these days and the rarity of riders doing both. However, we did see the same two riders on the podium of the Tour and the Vuelta last year.

The pecking order of GT hasn't changed much. The difference is that now it's near impossible to bring a top flight team to two events. Racing has become much more teamwork and it's difficult to prepare a whole team to be in top conditions in two races... in the past 1-2 decent domestiques would have been enough.
    Team Sky at the Giro is pretty much inexistent
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey
    Dates were different too.

1993 Giro: 23 May – 13 June
    1993 Tour: 3 July to 25 July

That's what 3 week?
  • FocusZing
    edited May 2017
    TheBigBean wrote:
    In the years before Pantani, GTs were won by TTs. Pure climbers didn't get a look in. Then along came Pantani who could put mins into other riders in the mountains, and still lose minutes in the TTs. It was a contrast and it was exciting. He also managed the nearly dying routine plus comeback which always helps with popularity.

A modern day equivalent, in some ways, would be Dumoulin. All GTs are currently won by climbers, so winning in TTs is different.

Armstrong won easily, raced one race a year, had a really really strong team, was good at everything (TTs, mountains etc.) and was generally an unpleasant person.

That's why I think it's great there are the other jerseys. I know it's not the same as GC, but it adds another dimension and goal, a side interest for viewers.
  • rick_chasey
    Err, what?
  • FocusZing
    Is LA the sort of guy you would want on your team during an earlier period of GTs?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Is LA the sort of guy you would want to have a pint with?

I'd happily share a glass of vino rosso with Pantani.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

He may not be great company any more.... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FocusZing
    Yeah.

Ha!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129

He may not be great company any more.... :wink:

Well at the least wont have got to him :lol:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Really? None of us knew him but in the Rendell biography and the one by his manager Pantani comes across as a immature personality who is indulged because of his talent and when the bubble bursts is unable to cope with reality and slipped into drug addiction. I get the attraction to him as a cyclist but one of my cycling heroes is Robert Millar but by all accounts he wouldn't have been great on a night out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    In general, people who are doing a lot of coke aren't the best drinking partners.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95 wrote:
    In general, people who are doing a lot of coke aren't the best drinking partners.
    Never a truer word was spoken.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

For many reasons that's a weird comment
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

Two straws?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

LA, anytime! i d understand him and he d have a lot to say and i bet he d pay his rounds too lol!

Pantani has been dead a while, we d get funny looks if he turned up for a drink.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    edited May 2017
    The pre-Tour references to LA have started early this season....

By Tour week I fully expect comments of 'fake test results', 'fake interview' etc...

I blame the Russians.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP