North London

djhnz
djhnz Posts: 50
edited May 2017 in Road general
I moved to London a few months ago, and have notched up a few thousand miles around Kent/Surrey but never ventured into North London. Is there any good hilly cycling north? it seems all I ever hear about is South London. Is there anything worth checking out North of London? Or east for that matter.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    You need to head out past Watford really but the whole stretch of the Chilterns from Luton to Reading had some pleasant lumpy roads.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Stick to south London. I moved North 20 years ago and still haven't found my way back!

Hertfordshires great for cycling though...
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    There's loads of hilly riding. Within North London you have the wonders of Highgate, particularly Swain's Lane and Highgate West Hill.

If you then take the A1000 out North beyond Barnet you'll find plenty to keep you busy.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    Go out through Barnet and Potters Bar, there are nice roads around Essendon, Hertford and beyond. Some good pubs, too.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Essendon, Bayford, Carbone, Vineyards, Newgate Street, Shenley Lane, Gaddesden Lane, Robin's Nest, Nettleden, Coopers Lane Road, Redbourn Hill, Whipsnade etc. Also the Chilterns, obvs. All accessible in an easy day's ride from HIghgate. You can get 2500m of climbing in 160km quite easily.