Tensing up when riding

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 134
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
I need to stop myself being tense on my bike, got home today and the muscles at the base of my neck were killing. Bike is otherwise comfy so I'm not overreaching or anything.

I find myself locking my elbows and shrugging my shoulders, notice I'm doing it so stop but then catch myself doing it again.

I'm very confident on a bike having been riding for several years so it's not fear but just a bad habit.

Any ideas how I can stop this or hoping my posture will improve after more rides? Its only the 5th time out on a road bike so having to adapt

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Relax your grip on the bars.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Wiggle your fingers.

You can't wiggle your fingers if your tense in your arms or shoulders.

Your neck may be more to do with your body needing to adapt to the cycling position again but keep it loose around your arms and shoulders and you'll breathe better
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My guess would be a combination of getting used to a new bike and also tweaking the setup to suit you.

Unless you have an injury or on going condition have a careful look at your bike setup. It could be a simple as you have the weight distribution between front and rear wrong or now have a bigger drop to the bars.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Don't fight or resist it - you won't enjoy it if you fight, resist or tense up.

Just relax and enjoy the feeling.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    What I noticed today is that neck pain after rides could also be related to reach (I was getting the same pain after hard rides). Sit in the most forward position on the saddle, put the harder gear and apply power to the pedals while seated. Do the same while sitting on the furthest back of the saddle, the pressure in the neck while applying power is lower atleast for me. Other than that core training would help as well.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 134
    This video was very applicable so will be making adjustments before my next ride

https://youtu.be/O9jq4WBrKOY
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Slowmart wrote:
    Wiggle your fingers.

You can't wiggle your fingers if your tense in your arms or shoulders.

Your neck may be more to do with your body needing to adapt to the cycling position again but keep it loose around your arms and shoulders and you'll breathe better

Do this a lot at the start of most rides, also tapping to a song in your head has the same effect