First purchase guidance please? (Triathlon & Group Riding)

2mths
2mths Posts: 3
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Questions around a first bike purchase

Background: Recently did my first sprint Tri on an 80s 12 speed '501 tubed Raleigh. Have my eye on more Tri's this year and next, building to middle distance (50 mile bike leg). Getting into this at 38 means I'm only going to be competing with myself and my body isn't as tolerant of abuse as it once was. I have one sportive (Velo Birmingham) booked too.

I am looking to buy myself a 'proper' bike. Due to the way I'm financing it I would really like to buy as much bike as I can up front. I say this because I have been told repeatedly that having bought a bike I'll probably want to upgrade at least the wheels after a while. It will be far more affordable for me to upgrade them at purchase, so that is my desire.

My efforts so far have involved a lot of internet reading and visits to three LBS. One recommended the Giant Defy Advanced, another the Giant Propel and the third a Specialized Tarmac (which I believe is comparable to a Giant TCR) upgraded with a pair of Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon. So that hasn't really helped me narrow my thinking.

I'd like to ask for people's thoughts about how I can progress my research and get closer to a purchase, because at the moment I'm pulled every which way.

Thanks in advance!

PS I guess my budget would help, it has been slowly creeping up and I guess I'm at the £2500 mark now.

PPS Updated the title after feedback in first couple of replies.

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    What do you mean by "do it all"?

On here that would usually mean - commuter, winter, race, off road - so something with disc brakes, big tyre clearance - but don't think that's what your after?

£2.5k will get a lot of bike, especially if your not too fussed about looking for deals.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Agree, the "do it all" label does not apply here.

Just get a good road bike and it will be your do it all bike... Cannondale Supersix or slightly more on a budget the CAAD12 are very good choices. If you buy from a shop, they'll probably be able to do you a deal on a wheel upgrade straightaway
    left the forum March 2023
  • 2mths
    2mths Posts: 3
    Dinyull wrote:
    What do you mean by "do it all"?
    Apologies, thread titled updated - I meant to make it clear the bike is going to get used for casual\personal challenge triathlons and general riding in preparation for at least one sportive.