Freehub/Cassette Not Going Backwards

CitizenLee
CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey folks,

I just got my rear hub serviced recently (new freebub body and pawls) and was out for a ride last night when I noticed I can’t back pedal. When I try the cassette doesn’t spin backwards, causing the chain to catch and almost fall off. It freewheels fine, and when I’m off the bike I can rotate the cranks backwards ok.

I did give the LBS some new Hub Doctor ceramic bearings to fit at the time but when I got the wheel back they hadn’t installed them, so I assume they thought the existing bearings were fine.

FFIW it’s a Mavic Crossmax hub with 1x10 XT/Saint cassette and cranks.

Cheers,

Lee
Current:
NukeProof Mega FR 2012
Cube NuRoad 2018
Previous:
2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, can happen, if the freehub is a bit sticky and you are in a middle gear, not sure what the chain is catching on though?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    Sorry, that's my poor wording - It's not getting stuck as such, it just has nowhere to go as the cranks rotate backwards so goes super slack and drops behind the chainstay.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Oddly, this same scenario today on another forum, though in this case on a non-maintained cassette.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... in-problem
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • CitizenLee
    Oddly enough, I was cycling to my LBS to get it looked at and it fixed itself on the way so I went for a ride for a few hours and had no further issues with it.

Must have just been a bit stiff after being rebuilt during the service.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Just found this while looking something up myself. It may be nothing to do with it, but thought I'd share anyway.

Shift to the largest cog. Look at where the upper pulley sits in relation to the cog. If the pulley touches the cog, you may not be able to backpedal freely. Using the tensioning screw (derailleur angle adjustment screw), move the pulley until it's as close as possible to the cog without touching it. Try backpedaling. If the chain rubs, the pulley is too close.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/rshf-tun.htm (near the bottom)