Helmets Bell Super 3r and Giro Switch

AW79
AW79 Posts: 14
edited June 2017 in MTB beginners
Evening All,

I'm on the verge of buying a new helmet, I am wanting to ride (eventually) some downhill runs but in the meantime cross country and road. I have looked at both the above helmets but wanted to get opinions of anyone who has experience of using either of them. Are there any other alternative switchable DH/XC helmets avaialble? In addition, in terms of padding body armour is this something normally reserved for serious DH enthusiasts/competitors or are a lot of regular riders wearing (and needing) it. Thanks in advance

Comments

• RichardSmart
    RichardSmart Posts: 387
    I have never worn body-armour as cross-country riding tends to be quite safe - it would simply be excess weight for xc riding and wouldn't provide any benefit that I can think of, unless you were carrying a few extra pounds (of fluid) and wanted to sweat them off.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Don't know about the 3R but I bought a 2R and it's a very good helmet, I've ridden in it mainly without the chin piece but if I'm going some where harder/rougher I put my chin piece in my back pack and pop it on if I feel I need it, so it makes it a very versatile helmet, but you need to try before you buy as some helmets fit your head better than others and only you will know.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I wear knee pads when ever I go off road but I wouldn't use one of the convertible helmets. Its either a halfshell or a full face. I've got a 661 half shell for normal riding, a met parachute for more rough stuff and a 7idp full face for anything DH.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Son uses a Super 2R, likes the flexibility of being able to put the chin bar on if he feels he's taking on something a little riskier, generally though leaves it in his bag. It's not been involved in a helmet vs tree real life test, but is reported as very comfortable.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • AW79
    Thanks for comments, after reading much on both I have ordered a Giro and will see how I get on with it.
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    AW79 wrote:
    Thanks for comments, after reading much on both I have ordered a Giro and will see how I get on with it.
    What's it like then?
  • AW79
    Yes its great, I really like it, the chin bar is a bit temperamental in terms of getting it off sometimes but there is a nack to it I think. Very comfortable, the size I ordered from their size charts fits fine, removable internal pads on the sides, a 2nd lot of pads thrown in along with 2nd visor with a camera mount on it. Great coverage over the entire head. Just doesn't look as cool as the Bell 3R, but I'm past that now at my age!