Disc specific - Wheelset upgrade

murrayp7
murrayp7 Posts: 18
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
I have a cannondale caad optimo tiagra disc. I am thinking about upgrading the wheels from the ones that came with the bike. I am looking at campagnolo zondas, which seem to be very popular! But the disc brake ones are considerably more expensive than the rim brake versions. They retail around the €600 price bracket. I was wondering could I go for a lower price range and still have an upgrade worth talking about? For example, I was looking at fulcrum racing 5 lg disc wheelset, which are around €300. What are your thoughts?

Also, just to throw in another factor, centre lock or 6 bolt? I have 6 bolt and i could just switch them over to the new wheelset, but eventually they will need to be replaced, right? Also, the rotors on my bike are 160 and 140 (different front and rear); the 140 rotors seem to be pretty scarce on websites. Does it matter if i put different sizes on apart from braking performance? I.e., could i put two 160 rotors on, since those are more common?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    I don't know which wheels to advise, but I would go for centrelock. It's simply down to the fact that Shimano make their top rotors only in Centrelock and Shimano rotors are head and shoulders above any other on the market.

When it comes to disc wheelsets, I think handbuilts are very competitive in value for money
    left the forum March 2023
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I'm in the same boat and going to get the Fulcrum 5 DB wheelset. My wheels are thru axle & centre lock and Fulcrum have this option available. Theyre currently out of stock on all UK websites but are available from Bike24 for €315 delivered.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I was going to recommend these Pro-Lite

http://road.cc/content/review/178938-pr ... e-wheelset

But I think you'd need to try and shop around for the best deal - the claimed price on road.cc is no longer valid, they seem to have shot up in price. I got mine for less than £300 at a bike show, which was a real bargain.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268

But I think you'd need to try and shop around for the best deal - the claimed price on road.cc is no longer valid, they seem to have shot up in price. I got mine for less than £300 at a bike show, which was a real bargain.

.. so he can spend the rest of his summer trying to fit the tyres... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958

Not sure if this is the same cock up as last year but you NEED to check this out just in case!

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pro-lite- ... #pid=28761
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    My 29er MTB wheels are lighter than those - and they're 35mm wide and have 32 spokes each!!

To the OP - I'm going through a similar thought process at the moment - my Cube has Fulcrum R77 on it and I'm not happy with the spoke count (I'm a big guy). So I'm looking down the alternative route and having investigated many options I'm now wondering why I was even thinking of alu rims when I'm not asking them to do the braking - this has dramatically changed my thought process and I'm now looking at carbon rims, enough spokes, decent hubs - after all I'll only be replacing rotors, not wheel rims, in a few years time.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    interested in this also as I am looking at swapping the Maddux 2.0s currently on my CAAD12 Disc for something lighter.
    I have been looking at the below 3 options
    - Cero ARD23 @1495g for £325
    - Hunt 4 Season @1629g for £369
    - Handbuilts
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    riggsy81 wrote:
    interested in this also as I am looking at swapping the Maddux 2.0s currently on my CAAD12 Disc for something lighter.
    - Handbuilts

Mason X Hunt wheels come in at 1585g for £369.
    I've had a couple of sets of these int he past and was very impressed with them. I only got rid of them as I upgraded to some carbon wheels.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    Crossed wrote:
    riggsy81 wrote:
    - Handbuilts

Mason X Hunt wheels come in at 1585g for £369.
    I've had a couple of sets of these int he past and was very impressed with them. I only got rid of them as I upgraded to some carbon wheels.

Cheers oh yeah missed the Mason X Hunts off my list - for the money they seem great value as all the reviews seem good too
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    As I say, mine were faultless.
    I've currently got a set of the 650b Mason X Hunt wheels and again, they're fantastic. You can get hold of cheaper wheels but I think the Hunts are worth the extra money.
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    +1 for Hunt. Lovely wheels, great customer service and good value. Seems like there can be a little wait but I got mine after a few weeks...