£1500 - £2000 to spend on a new road bike

bianchichris
bianchichris Posts: 24
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
So having recently turned 40 I have been given the go ahead to buy a new bike.

I currently ride a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 C2C - I think it's the 2008 model (I bought it used in 2009) - alu/carbon/kevlar frame. I really like the bike but as I bought it when I got back into cycling after several years away from the sport (it replaced a steel Peugeot Optimum that I got for my 14th birthday) I dont really have a great idea of what I should be looking at. I find the Bianchi really comfy but would like something a bit more aggressive without being an outright racing bike. Most of my rides are solo efforts of between 30 and 50 miles around the Chiltern Hills. I'm interested in disc brakes and at one stage this had become an absolute requirement however, whilst I don't mind if it rains whilst I'm out, I won't intentionally set out in the rain.

I'm open to pretty much any brand and will consider carbon and aluminium.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Cube Agree C62 Disc - the 105 model. Comfortably in your budget, not too aggressive in terms of geometry (there's plenty of steerer to cut down but it gives you a great opportunity to decide where you want it to be!), full 105 group with hydraulics, decent enough Fulcrum wheels and finishing kit. Good clearances on the frame for larger tyres.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Cube Agree C62 Disc - the 105 model. Comfortably in your budget, not too aggressive in terms of geometry (there's plenty of steerer to cut down but it gives you a great opportunity to decide where you want it to be!), full 105 group with hydraulics, decent enough Fulcrum wheels and finishing kit. Good clearances on the frame for larger tyres.

That ticks a lot of boxes and Cube wasn't on my radar at all. Nice looking bike too! Cheers.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    2016 Scott Solace disc - as a recent owner I think they're criminally underrated....and would admit wasn't an obvious choice when I started looking at a new bike myself but a great frame and very good "bang for buck"...
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product ... -solace-10
    2 years interest free credit too...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Luv2ride wrote:
    2016 Scott Solace disc - as a recent owner I think they're criminally underrated....and would admit wasn't an obvious choice when I started looking at a new bike myself but a great frame and very good "bang for buck"...
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product ... -solace-10
    2 years interest free credit too...

I'd second this, having had two in the last few years. Brilliant frame
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Canyon and Kuota offerings - if you want something a bit different....
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Solace. Ultegra STI rather than the bulbous 105/505 of many disc bikes at the £2k price point.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Some good suggestions guys, thanks. I've never heard of Kuota but will take a look.
  • Just tried to find a Kuota stockist near me. The one listed doesn't show any on their website but they do sell a brand called Orro - anyone got any experience/heard of them. The shop website - Pankhurst Cycles near Reading - looks a bit "hipster" for my tastes but they offer comprehensive fitting with each bike.
  • Merlin Nitro Sl. Currently £1749 with free choice of shimano/ look keo pedals and mavic road shoes. Carbon frame and Ultegra 6800 group with fulcrum wheels.
    And the frame is a Ridley Helium in disguise. No discs though, worth a look
  • Canyon Canyon Canyon ;-)
  • NucDidds
    NucDidds Posts: 15
    Have you had a wander around Pedal On in Tadley (near Aldermaston)?

Hope you enjoy the moment!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    you can get a kuota from here - very reputable dealer.

https://www.bellatisport.com/kuota.html
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have a think about where you ride and what you need.

My list was good range of gears, ability to fit wider tyres, quality hydraulic disc brakes and also ability to go off road. Also I wanted less reach than a normal road bike so got a bike with shorter reach and drop bars which means I now ride in thee drops comfortably for as long as I want.

I ended up getting a Diverge with 11-32 / 34/50 gearing and 685 brakes.; It is very smooth on road and the brakes mean I now go downhill a lot faster. It also works well off road until it gets a bit rough. In the winter I just stay on road and fit narrower tyres.
  • Canyon Canyon Canyon ;-)

Which one?
  • geryben
    geryben Posts: 15
    Canyon!!
    Bicycle frames are hardy and truly versatile. The bike is excellently equipped for riding in any conditions - from city streets to hikes in the highlands. You can be sure that your bike will overcome any obstacle.
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    You know you can get an absolute beaut in your price range if you use the sales?
    If you take a size medium you can get a Boardman Elite Air 9.2 for under £2k at Hargroves or, my preference, something a bit 'out there' a DeRosa Idol with discs ~£2K (was £3.1K) at Wiggle.
    All taken from the sales page here
    Also, apropos of nothing, check the crazy frame design on the GT Adventure bike at the bottom of that page! (No don't get that!!!)
  • Benchef82
    Benchef82 Posts: 5
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice on a new bike

Been cycling for a few years now both mountain and more recently road as well

I currently have a Kinesis, which I've had for 18 months odd and now want upgrade

So I have been looking at the following and any impartial advice would be greatly appreciated

https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/road-triath ... reen-2017/

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endur ... f-9-0.html

Also whether it's recommended in going for just a little bit more cash for discs ?

Many thanks in advance