Cyclocross recommendations

58585 Posts: 207
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Trying to be early out, and seeing as winter is just round the corner (?)...any recommendations on cyclocross bikes?

Use will be on road + some gravel roads which there a few of around here, potentially some CX races. I'm based in scandinavia so this will be used in snow and ice, and that's the main reason for buying, so I can get some outdoor miles during the winter to break up the boredom of the trainer.

I'm after something with disc brakes, 2x11 speed ultegra or equivalent, internal cables, and not too relaxed geometry. Not too fussed on carbon or aluminium frame either. Definitely needs to have clearance for studded tyres for winter.

Had a look at canyon and PX, but nothing is jumping out so far so any tips?

Comments

• williamac
    williamac Posts: 71
    I have a Rose PRO DX Cross which meets your requirements. Very happy with it, so worthwhile having a look at the Rose Bikes site. Advantage over Canyon is that you can configure the various bits of the bikes

William
  • williamac
    williamac Posts: 71
    Forgot to say I use mine mainly as a winter/bad weather bike as can fit mudguards and they will take large tyres (currently have on GP4000SII in 28mm for use on the road

William
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The Cube cyclocross bikes look pretty tidy. See quite a few of them being used on the roads round here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    MrB123 wrote:
    The Cube cyclocross bikes look pretty tidy. See quite a few of them being used on the roads round here.
    E.g.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/cube-c ... 0wodzioPWg
    58585 Posts: 207
    Thanks for the recommendations. I went for a Planet X SLX in the end, frame due to arrive this afternoon...
    I've ordered a 105 disc group to build it with and have a few deda bits and pieces to finish it.

All I need now are wheels. The brake discs coming with the group are 6 bolt, not sure if I should use those or go for centrelock. Use will be mainly on road with some gravel and light trails. I have a pair of challenge chicanes (33mm) on order, and will need to look at spiked tyres for when the winter comes.

Looking for advice again then :-)
    I've had a good look around the forum and found a few options, but still undecided. I'm looking for clinchers, not planning on running tubeless. Any reason not to go for carbon rims? I'm not sure about using "open tubulars" on carbon and whether that is an issue (I know veloflex doesn't recommend it). Also no experience running 33mm tyres so not sure if there is anything to be aware of (internal rim width 17c min I think should be ok). Far sports 38mm clinchers on DT350s come in around £500+import, they look about the best value I can find, but any other recommendations in the same price range?