Cassette or chain ?

Spaniel1987
Spaniel1987 Posts: 14
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, ive recently tried to replace my chain as it was a few years old and was slightly stretched. Having fitted the new chain ( A KMC x9-93 ) under load it now jumps on the cassette and makes an awful noise. It indexes ok so i think its setup ok. The cassette doesnt look particularly worn but would you say the best bet would be to replace the cassette along with the chain ? Or have i bought the wrong chain as this wasnt happening before. The cassette is a shimano HG-200 9 speed nothing fancy lol but i have noted kmc do a .73 and a .93 9 speed chain and dont know what the difference is tbh.

Comments

• Basically the same size chains but the 93 has a better coating than the 73. Just buy a new cassette.
  • Spaniel1987
    Spaniel1987 Posts: 14
    Ah right ok yeh i think that what im going to do in that case, not expensive to replace anyway i guess. Cheers
  • jb72
    jb72 Posts: 12
    The chain and cassette wear together. I would usually replace them at the same time. Any 9 speed cassette will do ... the more expensive ones will be lighter / look nicer!
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    A MTB chain will typically wear down in roughly 600 miles. However, real number will vary based on a number of factors (riding conditions, maintenance, pedalling).
    Assuming you change soon enough, you may be able to use a MTB cassette with up to three chains.
    Once the chain is worn, it wears the cassette down at an increased rate.
    After changing the chain on an used cassette, it's normal to experience occasional chain slips under load for up to 100km.

Long story short, if the chain and cassette have not been changed for several years, get both new. In fact, if you only need to replace them no more than once a year, I'd say replace both at the same time every time.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Chains and cassettes wear in unison. If you put a new chain on an old cassette it will invariably slip to start off with, as the chain and cassette haven't formed a 'handshake'. They tend to settle down after a few miles ( dependant on how and how often and for what distance you ride). I always replace the cassette and chain together ( unless it's a chain failure in the road). It prevents any problems and undue wear on the new chain due to the slipping.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    As said in other replies, replace your cassette in this instance, as the new chains skipping on your old cassette. Generally as wear starts according to a chain checker or its slackened on the chainrings i replace chain straight away and treat the chain as the consumable part. The cassette and chainrings will last a lot longer this way. Cassettes should not in my opinion need to be replaced in unison with the worn chain. Checking the chain wear is the best approach as with the 'leave the chain and cassette to die together' method it ruins the chainrings aswell.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Invest in a chain wear tool. Repkacw chain at 0.75% and it will not jump on cassette. Ive had three chains on same cassette.

Is it worthi it, obviously you end up spending more on chains than if you run both chain and cassette into the ground .
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    02GF74 wrote:

Invest in a chain wear tool. Repkacw chain at 0.75% and it will not jump on cassette.

It probably will slip to begin with, unless you replace the cassette in unison, for the reasons myself and other posters with experience have tried to explain. You could minimise the slipping, if you put a new chain on an old cassette, if you hardly put any power down for a bit, initially, but if, like me, you'd rather not bugger about with 'running in' the new chain, then you're better off replacing the chain and cassette at the same time, if only to prevent undue wear on the new chain, which will invariably mean it lasts for a shorter duration than the worn out one did.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I ride a chain and cassette until they're dead then replace at the same time. Current one is well over 1,000 miles, in all sorts of nasty conditions and still fine.
    Might be different if I was using stupidly expensive 12 speed stuff, but at about £40 for both I don't get too stressed every year or two.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools