Shimano 105 5700 vs 5800

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi been thinking of upgrading my 105 5700 with the newer 5800. Is there much of a difference in performance and weight with the newer 5800.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Weights are close enough that you won't get a measurable difference from them (on your speed), although you certainly save a bit with the new group.

You get an extra gear so you can either have a wider range, or closer changes, depending on what you want.

Everyone seems to say that the new rim brakes are excellent - I haven't tried them yet as I upgraded on the cheap with just a gearset.

The feel of the shifts is excellent - very light and easy - certainly better than the old 5700, and I'd imagine it doesn't chew through so many cables although too early for me to say.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    the 5800 brakes are completely redesigned and look to be the dogs bollox
    left the forum March 2023
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    5800 requires less force to shift due to design and cabling improvements - much closer to Ultegra than 5700.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I have 5700 on my commuter and 5800 on my nice winter bike - 5800 is a lot better, imo. Front shifting is lighter and sharper, rear shifting is marginally better but the main improvement is the brakes, they're just superb.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I replaced my 5700 brakes with 5800 brakes. They are better. Difficult to say how much better but as my rear 5700 was sticking and despite a dismantle and rebuild I couldn't get it corrected (then I stripped the pivot bolt head) so I had to replace anyway.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    5800 brakes and front shifting are much better. Also 11spd vs 10. Can't see a reason to get 5700 at all - unless you have a really good set of wheels that are 10spd only.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    I went from 5700 10-speed to 5800 11-speed and the difference is pretty big in some areas. The extra gear is no big deal and I hardly notice it, but the shifting is much crisper on the new groupset. Feels easier and more precise. Weight is probably next to no difference. Overall I'd say it's a good upgrade, especially if you can get the entire groupset on special for a steal.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    5700 is pretty poor in all honesty, front shifting is hard work and the brakes are average at best. That the rear shifting is decent is probably the best complement I can pay to it.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The problem is, 5800 groups aren't exactly a bargain at the moment (given there were times you could get them for £270 or less) so assuming that your 5700 is still in good shape you might as well keep using it.

The money would probably be better spent on new wheels or a cycling trip somewhere.

Still, if you have another project that you could put the 5700 towards, or the 5700 is worn out, then go ahead - 5800 is a great group.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    5700 front shifting is a bit clunky, the rear is not bad. But yes, 5800 brakes are something else
    left the forum March 2023
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    I've got a couple of bikes with 5700 and one with 5800. The shifting on the 5800 feels much smoother and lighter, however it takes a bit of care to get the front derailleur set up and I seem to use the front shifter trim more often than I do with the 5700. I don't notice the extra gear.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I've had both and 5800 is considerably better in every respect, slicker, smoother, easier to shift and crisper. The brakes are also considerably stronger/better. I hated the front shifting on 5700, it was so clunky and agricultural, I preferred 4500 Tiagra that I had on another bike at the same time.