Mavic R-SYS SLR wheels

imf73
imf73 Posts: 9
edited June 2017 in Road buying advice
Has any one got or tried these Mavis R-SYS clincher wheels?
I'm looking for a new set of wheels for my roadbike. They look great and are very light, has anyone any experience of them?
They have carbon spokes - are they ok?
They do talk about them being a climbing wheel, I will be using them in the Alps for a couple of trips but also want a generalist wheel.

What do you think & how do they compare to the Mavis Ksyrium SLR?

Thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    Carbon spokes are OK... although a friend of mine managed to snap two over not too many miles... they don't do impact very well, so avoid jumping off kerbs.
    They are also easily damaged if someone stacks his bike against yours and the pedal hit the spoke or similar storage damage. The upside is that they are easy to replace (if expensive of course) and the wheel is easy to true.

They are very stiff wheels, probably the stiffest clinchers in that weight range
    left the forum March 2023
  • I've still got a set of the Ksyrium SR's which use similar tech' as the R-Sys. They are used as my general training wheels (summer), and have been faultless. Never been out of true, never broken a spoke (or carbon "straw"), and other than periodic re-lubing of freewheel pawls, have run-and-run....

As mentioned, they are great up the hills.

There's a lot of bad stuff said about Ksyriums, but I personally have found them to be the most reliable wheels I've ever owned. Previous to the SR's I had a set of SSC SL's or whatever they were called, and they too were raced on, trained on and never saw the inside of a workshop.....until I mangled the rear eventually in a race with an over-eager up-shift whilst descending into a 90 degree corner :oops:

(Five new spokes later, they were good-as-new until the braking surface eventually became to end of its life).
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    had them, hated them.

i think a brick house is more aero. they felt slow and not very quick.

swapped them out for some c50s.

i'd probably get some c35s or something.
  • ugo.santalucia
    spasypaddy wrote:
    had them, hated them.

He wants to ride the Alps, not the Fens
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    he said he wanted a generalist wheel.

i rode my c50s up a big mountain in spain a few months ago. they didnt feel slow.

you wont use a pair of rsys slrs any other time than in the alps. they are dull to ride.
  • imf73
    Cheers for the replies guys. Yes I do want to use them in he Alps but also wan a wheel I can use after and nit just waste a whole load of money on wheels for 2 trips.
    Would the Mavis Ksyriums be better? Or any other recommendations in that price range?
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I have two sets, one clincher and one tubular. They work well and are light. No longer revolutionarily light, I think, but still very competitive for something with alloy braking surfaces. I've used them (mostly the tubs) in all sorts of circumstances, including Liege-Bastogne-Liege this year and not found them wanting or slow. I found I had no trouble descending faster than most on LBL, so I'm not hugely convinced that the aero effect matters that much; on the other hand the Exalith braking surface remains class-leading. I think they are without question not worth the money, though - I can't see that they move the game on further than the Ksyrium, which is half the price. When I bought them in 2014 they were the only really light tubular wheelset with alloy rims and proper braking; there's more competition now.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    I have a set of the 125th Anniversary wheels - wonderfully light, 1340g springs to mind, and mine are clinchers.

One issue with mine was a rattle within the Rim, but my LBS (I bought them from Royles who had gone bust) sent them back just within the 2 year warranty, and they stuck a new rim on them, and sent them back.

Very pleased with the ride, and way they assist the climbing of my Scott CR1 SL.

Oh and the Exalith braking surface, when paired with their Exalith brake pads, are bloody awesome.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    had them, hated them.

He wants to ride the Alps, not the Fens

:D:D:D
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imf73
    964Cup wrote:
    I have two sets, one clincher and one tubular. They work well and are light. No longer revolutionarily light, I think, but still very competitive for something with alloy braking surfaces. I've used them (mostly the tubs) in all sorts of circumstances, including Liege-Bastogne-Liege this year and not found them wanting or slow. I found I had no trouble descending faster than most on LBL, so I'm not hugely convinced that the aero effect matters that much; on the other hand the Exalith braking surface remains class-leading. I think they are without question not worth the money, though - I can't see that they move the game on further than the Ksyrium, which is half the price. When I bought them in 2014 they were the only really light tubular wheelset with alloy rims and proper braking; there's more competition now.
    Thanks for the feedback, what woul; dyou get now instead then?
  • imf73
    Daniel B wrote:
    I have a set of the 125th Anniversary wheels - wonderfully light, 1340g springs to mind, and mine are clinchers.

One issue with mine was a rattle within the Rim, but my LBS (I bought them from Royles who had gone bust) sent them back just within the 2 year warranty, and they stuck a new rim on them, and sent them back.

Very pleased with the ride, and way they assist the climbing of my Scott CR1 SL.

Oh and the Exalith braking surface, when paired with their Exalith brake pads, are bloody awesome.
    Ive heard the braking surface is really good. Have you found it has worn your brake blocks out quickly?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I've had mine since late 2013 (second version with Exalith 2 brake track) and I've never had a single issue with them. They've done all kinds of rides from 300 milers to European mountain trips in all sorts of weather and since I've had them I've gone through two sets of pads and the brake track has only suffered a few dings from the odd rogue stone. The track it'self is still black (it's really a dark grey). I've also not had any issues with the freehub or any broken spokes. They've not been ridden over winters - I have other wheels for that.

They're the best wheels I've ever had in my many years of cycling.
  • daniel_b
    imf73 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Ive heard the braking surface is really good. Have you found it has worn your brake blocks out quickly?

No not at all, it seems very hard wearing, and the brake blocks which are designed to work with the surface seem to be paired nicely, hence the awesome braking, and lack of wear to both pads and rims.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • imf73
    That's great. Thanks for the feedback. I haven't managed to find many reviews so this is helpful
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I have used a set of Ksyrium SLS (non Exalith) wheels since 2013 and they have been excellent wheels. Stiff, light and great for climbing (I climb all of the time here in Switzerland). They have now done 28'000km and I reckon I have another 5k or so left in them before I will change them due to end of life rim wear.

The only downside with the Ksyrium range (except the latest carbon rim versions) is that the FTS-L hubs do need regular care, you need to oil the freehub bushing regularly and i have also had to replace the bushing in the freehub due to wear. But other than that, they have been the perfect day to day wheel.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I don't think you can find a clincher which is as stiff as those in the same weight range. For me the issue is the price... it is very very steep for what in essence is a pair of wheels.
    As mentioned above, there are competitors... Fulcrum makes something similar (but with alloy spokes). COmpare warranties too, Mavic is two years, others might be only one year... in this price range it matters
  • daniel_b
    I don't think you can find a clincher which is as stiff as those in the same weight range. For me the issue is the price... it is very very steep for what in essence is a pair of wheels.
    As mentioned above, there are competitors... Fulcrum makes something similar (but with alloy spokes). COmpare warranties too, Mavic is two years, others might be only one year... in this price range it matters

Very true on the warranty - I also think there is a mythical option that the supplier should provide you with documentation, where you can register your mavic wheels for an extended period, but details were sketchy on this, and I never received anything.
    Luckily my fault came up about 1 week prior to the 2 year anniversary date!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I have had a pair for 8 years only finally broke a rear carbon spoke after dropping my winter bike on them. This was fixed easily. Then week later broke a rear alloy bladed. As they were old version it took a few weeks to track down a spoke as Mavic don't list them anymore. The wheel builder is very experienced , so carried the repairs out for me.
    They turn any bike into a magic carpet ride they seem more comfortable than any other wheel I've owned.
    I have raced them , crashed them ,banged along tow paths and climbed rough quarry roads on them.
    Only price puts me off buying a new pair.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Worth considering are Hed Ardennes Black, with the black 'turbine' braking surface.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    imf73 wrote:
    964Cup wrote:
    I have two sets, one clincher and one tubular...
    Thanks for the feedback, what woul; dyou get now instead then?
    If I was buying clinchers, I suppose I'd go for the Ksyrium Exalith (https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/mavic ... e-wheelset) or the Exalith SL (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... prod153986).

(That Lordgun price for the standard Ksyrium Exalith looks pretty good, actually).

What I actually bought was a set of AX Lightness Ultra24T, but that's probably not terribly helpful since they're carbon, tubular and quite expensive. They do weigh 784g for the set, though, which is about the same as one Ksyrium wheel.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I've just bought a pair of these from Chain Reaction. £1160 with British Cycling discount. Result!

They've have 30,000ft of climbing to do over the next few weeks, so I'll report back.

My missus just bought the Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione. Less than £200 between them with the discounts so I'll report back on them too, as comparison.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • imf73
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I've just bought a pair of these from Chain Reaction. £1160 with British Cycling discount. Result!

They've have 30,000ft of climbing to do over the next few weeks, so I'll report back.

My missus just bought the Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione. Less than £200 between them with the discounts so I'll report back on them too, as comparison.

Look forward to your review - thanks.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Quick question - do they come with Exalith pads or do I need to buy them separately?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • daniel_b
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Very nice!

And yes they come with pads - though I immediately bought a spare set, as wanted a set in stock.

Also, one of mine would not fit for some reason, no matter how hard I tried to shove it into the Ultegra 'shoe' - Royles sent me out a replacement pair though, and it fitted perfectly, must have been some oddity with one of the pads, but nothing that could be seen with the naked eye.

Enjoy, and I look forward to the reviews :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Quick question - do they come with Exalith pads or do I need to buy them separately?

Yes, but take some spares on holiday as you will get through them in no time with new wheels.
  • imf73
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Yes, but take some spares on holiday as you will get through them in no time with new wheels.

Would 1 spare set be enough for a week away riding or do they wear out quicker than that?
  • imf73 wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Would 1 spare set be enough for a week away riding or do they wear out quicker than that?

I've had my original set for years. They are very hard wearing.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul