Campagnolo disc group sets - alternative calipers?

dbrooksbank
dbrooksbank Posts: 20
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, As a campagnolo fan, I've been looking forward to them releasing disc brake group sets for quite some time. After ages this is finally happening. Yay! everyone is now happy..

But not for long.. I'm disappointed to read that the calipers are being released as flat mount only.

I have my cyclocross bike with all veloce group set and trp spyres - and was planning to upgrade the whole lot to disc and 11S at the same time, which was probably going to be potenza. So, my frame is all post-mount and as far as I understand it is not possible to get adapters for flat mount to a post mount frame. do these even exist??

So, is it hoping to much that other brands of hydraulic callipers would work. At this point, I'm exploring my options but want to stay with campag as much as possible. Can anyone advise on what might/might not be compatible. i.e. could I use a different post mount one as long as it uses the same mineral oil or are there too many other factors to screw it up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :-)

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited September 2020
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309

I have my cyclocross bike with all veloce group set and trp spyres - and was planning to upgrade the whole lot to disc and 11S at the same time, which was probably going to be whatever Campagnolo will release with discs

FTFY

Don't see the point of taking up a mortgage to upgrade a mud bike to hydraulics to be honest... you don't even need good brakes in CX...
    However, if you use it as a road bike, that's different
    left the forum March 2023
  • dbrooksbank
    Hi, I mainly use the bike for road use and commuting. It doesn't get to see much mud at all, hence the upgrade to a better groupset whilst staying with campag.

I haven't managed to find any suitable adapters? Everything I have found is for post mount calipers to attach to a flat mount fork or frame - which is the wrong way round.

There doesn't seem to be anything for flat mount calipers to attach to a post mount frame. Can you let me know what this adapter is that you are planning to use please?

Many Thanks..
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well, I would have thought so... I might lack imagination but I can't see how to convert a post mount fork into a flat mount one... the opposite is probably easy.

I wouldn't bother with Campagnolo Hydro... it looks hideous, it was developed by Ashima, which is not particularly popular in the world of hydro brakes... I think you are just buying a logo... stick to the Spyres or go for Shimano 685

Some other Ashima product
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ake-39822/
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    I wouldn't bother with Campagnolo Hydro... it looks hideous
    if they'd gone with the Brembo calipers like your picture last April 1st they would have been worth selling a kidney for.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I wouldn't bother with Campagnolo Hydro... it looks hideous
    if they'd gone with the Brembo calipers like your picture last April 1st they would have been worth selling a kidney for.

I was thinking the same... I'm not sure why they didn't to be honest... probably they didn't want to do any R & D on the calipers and just put a Campagnolo badge on an existing product from someone else.
  • dbrooksbank
    Well it was probably a good idea to start with. But, as Ugo says.. best stick with my spyres - it's going to be considerably less hassle to live with mechanical..

Many thanks..
  • I wouldn't bother with Campagnolo Hydro... it looks hideous, it was developed by Ashima, which is not particularly popular in the world of hydro brakes... I think you are just buying a logo... stick to the Spyres or go for Shimano 685

Where did you hear that Campagnolo’s disc brakes were developed with Ashima? All reports I’ve read say they collaborated with German brand Magura...who seem to have a very solid reputation.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    My chum who worked for Magura told me that they were working with Campagnolo on disc brake development and design.
  • I've read somewhere that the Hope RX4 calipers for SRAM are also compatible with Campag.
    Might be worth just sendng an email to Hope to query.

EDIT - seems to be RX4s for Shimano
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=145412
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    So, I did a bit of research on this a couple of weeks back. The Campag Hydraulic disk brake system was developed with Magura and Magura post mount calipers are compatible.

There is also more good news - Hope looked into it (they offer RX4 calipers listed as being suited for use with SRAM and Shimano road hydraulic systems) and found that their Shimano RX4 model was already compatible with the Campagnolo Hydraulic brifters - both systems use mineral oil and the same piston size.

This then has the knock on consequence that you can almost certainly use any current Shimano post mount (or flat mount) caliper with the Campagnolo Hydraulic brifters, should you be so inclined.

This is all good news so far, but unfortunately it doesn't appear possible to buy the Campag Hydraulic brifters without the flat mount calipers, and they ain't cheap - £600 and up for the set of brifters and brakes.

Confusingly Campag have started to brand their latest potenza and other standard brifters as 'HO' (hydraulically optimised) regardless of if they are for hydraulic brakes- this indicates compatibility with the slightly tweaked derailleurs, not hydraulic brakes - not all retailers are up to speed with this so they might wrongly claim that they are hydraulic.