Front mech bolt - daft question

W1368
W1368 Posts: 9
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have bought a new front mech after the last one seized (and wasn't very good anyway!).

For now I've used a spare bottle cage bolt that fits just right for mounting :) Not sure if its steel or aluminium. Would this be ok as a perminant fixture? Not knowing the exact bolt size.

The bolt on the new one (M5 x 17.5) is too short and doesn't reach the other side. But swaping with the bolt on the old mech (M5 x 21.3) is too long, causing it to push against the mech when tightened.

Old: Shimano FD-370
New: Shimano FD-M770

Both 34.9 band type.

Comments

• muddytreker
    muddytreker Posts: 18
    It'll get you by for now maybe last for as long as you need it to,
    time will tell, though it won't have torsional strength of a
    steel bolt.
    If your needing a suitable bolt in steel and struggling to size it, drop us
    a pm and we can sort something out, if it helps
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A bolt is a bolt. If it fits...

But can't see how the right one won't fit if it's the right size mech. Are you sure it's not a multiple size with a shim?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • muddytreker
    muddytreker Posts: 18
    " A bolt is a bolt. If it fits..."

Well sort of but the material can be relevant, ie alloy bottle cage bolts wouldn't
    be advised for securing a brake rotor for long term.

A front mech band can vary from model to model, year to year, where the bolt head sits
    in its tightened position, this part of the band can vary in shape and thickness, despite the mech being
    suited the same seat tube diameter.
    A pressed steel band can be different to that of an Aluminium band in its shape and form, as an example.
    This may or may not be the OPs issue, but it does happen, a bolt can fit one and not the other.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    34.9 is 34.9. In my universe anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, I've never come across a Shimano mech with a bolt that is too short....

An aluminium bolt would be fine for that anyway, its under minimal stress.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.