Which hybrid for daily use?

Carnmore
Carnmore Posts: 23
edited May 2017 in Commuting general
Having looked at a few bikes I'm considering a Giant Escape Disc or Cube SL Road Pro, with full mudguards, rear pannier rack, twin-leg stand and the tyres changed to Schwalbe Marathon Plus or similar.

My use for the bike is daily 1-2 mile journeys in town, grocery shopping and the occasional park trail ride.

Could anyone suggest which would be the better buy?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    It's so hard to figure out, isn't it? Have you tried either one out? The Cube is a tad lighter, says info online.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    There's not much between them - ride both and see which you like best (and keep an open mind - you're allowed to decide you like neither!)

I have a 2015 SL Road Race (i.e one step up) with full guards and a rack and it's a great bike. My wife has a Giant Escape (not disk) with guards & a rack and that's also a great bike.

Riding 1-2 miles is undemanding and pretty much anything will do. While both of these would do light shopping just fine, a city bike would do it better. Note that heavy shopping that's located entirely on the rack will cause major handling problems.

M+ are the best in puncture protection, but they're designed for the road and are not great off-road. They're also heavy and have a relatively harsh ride. I've stuck with the Kojaks that came on my Cube and really like them - they're comfortable, light, cheap and puncture only once every 5,000 miles or so. They're hilariously bad in mud, though.