Open moulds/clones??

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
edited May 2017 in Road general
Morning all. Just read the following article http://road.cc/content/review/222447-ti ... -aero-2017 and it reminded me of something I meant to ask a while back. The frame is described as open mould. So which bike(s) have the same frame but different brand? And what else is out there? I believe the Beacon bikes are an open mould available to anyone, as are 7vrn track frames. I've also end De Rosa bike? seen it elsewhere that many Planet X & Ribble are also open mould/clones of other, more expensive bikes. Indeed isn't there at least one Ribble bike supposedly identical to a high end De Rosa?

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Morning all. Just read the following article http://road.cc/content/review/222447-ti ... -aero-2017 and it reminded me of something I meant to ask a while back. The frame is described as open mould. So which bike(s) have the same frame but different brand? And what else is out there? I believe the Beacon bikes are an open mould available to anyone, as are 7vrn track frames. I've also end De Rosa bike? seen it elsewhere that many Planet X & Ribble are also open mould/clones of other, more expensive bikes. Indeed isn't there at least one Ribble bike supposedly identical to a high end De Rosa?

It's an interesting subject. I don't see a reason why something described as "open mould" is worse than anything else. In the article, it also says that Tifosi have UK exclusivity on the mould. So, you won't find another UK brand selling the same shaped frame if that bothers you at all. Surely the thing that matters the most, is how well the carbon fibre is laid up (?) in the mould, the amount of defects and QC. I'd rather whoever makes the frame gets these things right than have some 'exclusive' frame design. I've seen it mentioned a few times that e.g. Dolan frames are open mould. I've not actually seen any frames that look the same as Dolan models, but they might exist. I care more for whether the construction is overseen by someone that knows what they are looking for. The fact that there is a UK brand name willing to vouch for the frame, wherever it is made, means something.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have seen the De Rosa / Ribble frame that is meant to be the same. I can't think of many others though. I know the PX Stealth frame was used in the Tour in another branding - I forget which.

You will pay more for the branded model - they have more overheads. Personally I'd always go with a company rather than someone on ebay who has no reputation to protect.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Worth drawing the distinction between open mould/open design frames and 'replica' or 'fake' frames, as outlined here: http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/when-a ... ffs/019439

Here's a thread on here discussing the Ribble Stealth v De Rosa 838 - viewtopic.php?t=12829744
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I suppose it helps brands share design, development and manufacturing costs. I read a rumour that most bike frames are made in the same one or two factories, they just change the mold/cast every other day. A batch of Specialized on a Monday, then Giant on a Wednsday.
    I suppose it's the same as cars and vans these days. We had 2 small cans at work one a Citroen and the other a Peugeot (I think???) and both were absolute identical apart from the front grille and badge.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ben@31 wrote:
    A batch of Specialized on a Monday, then Giant on a Wednsday.

The sentiment is correct, but specifically not with those brands though. Giants are made in their own factory, Specs are made by Merida, I believe. Happy to be corrected.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Fenix wrote:
    I have seen the De Rosa / Ribble frame that is meant to be the same. I can't think of many others though. I know the PX Stealth frame was used in the Tour in another branding - I forget which.

I believe Cadel Evans rode one, badged as a Ridley
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Similar things happened back in the days of steel - pros would go to their own builder if they preferred and get their bike and have it sprayed up as a team bike. You can't get away with that now though.

I don't believe the stories of the factory making a few extra frames at the end of the day and selling them off thru Ebay. That's an easy way to lose a contract. Just because it looks similar doesn't mean its the same.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Thanks for the replies folks. I'll check the link out soon Imposter. I too would rather buy a bike/components that have a good reputation (the odd Ribble, PX, insert brand name customer relations issues here, criticism aside)rather than a chinarello or similar or eBay special. No, the reason for the post was just curiosity.