Changing disc brakes

roof30
roof30 Posts: 58
edited May 2017 in Workshop
I've just bought a set of road BB7s to change from the awful Promax Render-R disc brakes that came with my Cannondale Synapse. Can anyone tell me if I need to buy a new set of cables as well (lbs will fit them), and if so, which set of Jagwires I should be looking at? I'm very much a newbie when it comes to disc brakes so not sure if I need them or not.

Many thanks,
Ruth (roof30)
Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Comments

• Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Jagwire Compressionless is what you want.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Decent cables help (but are not essential with BB7) , the issue is that anything fitted with Promax callipers is likely to have cables of a similar quality!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    I changed the Tektros on my Boardman CX comp to BB7s without changing the stock cables, and have never noticed any problem betwixt lever and caliper.

Between pad and rotor yes, but that I think is mainly to do with a Jaguar who decided to subtly rearrange the geometry of my rear triangle
  • roof30
    roof30 Posts: 58
    The Rookie wrote:
    Decent cables help (but are not essential with BB7) , the issue is that anything fitted with Promax callipers is likely to have cables of a similar quality!

Thankfully my bike came fitted with Jagwire LEX-SL gear cables, but the brake cables seem to be unbranded. Will get the Road Pro Complete Set and ask lbs to fit them.

Thanks for your help.
    Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp
  • tsarouxaz
    tsarouxaz Posts: 70
    send them back and get some HY/RDs. have tested all of the mechanical bb7ish , spyres, and the hyrd is the best and closest to the full hydraulic. I now have a set of st-rs685 and there is a small diference from the hyrd. they perform best with the new longer brake arm of shimano 5800 or 6800.