Forks lost all pressure

MTBerSurrey
MTBerSurrey Posts: 52
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

My bike is a week old. Was riding at Swinley today and first lap was all good and then towards the start of the second I started to hear a a kind of metal grinding noise. I thought my brakes where running but as they was still working carried on. As was halfway down a trail all fork pressure went and I was bottoming out without much weight on the fork.

Borrowed a passer buys pump and pumped up but failed again straight away.

Thoughts?

Comments

• coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    My first thought is the Schrader valve is faulty or loose. On a new bike I would be back to dealer and not delving any further than that.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • MTBerSurrey
    Finally went back to the dealer on Wednesday. Still have not had a call to say they have even looked at it! Brilliant! Standard Halfords.

This as well after I brought it on Monday, the guy said 'mechanic is not in today, bring it in tommorow as he will be here. I bring it in the next day, he is too busy to look at it. I was due to go on a ride that night so they told me to call the next day and book it in. I call, they tell me can't book a time just bring it in.

Regardless of getting a good deal for the cash I had. Halfords are really not worth the hassle due to the potential for something going wrong and having to go back. Maybe I will get my bike back one day.
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Halfords are really not worth the hassle due to the potential for something going wrong and having to go back. Maybe I will get my bike back one day.

Or maybe not...
    viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=13078330&p=20125388#p20125388

Hope yours turns out ok.
  • MTBerSurrey
    Well. This could have happened.

I just called to ask what was going on. The technician told me that they didn't have time to look at it, so just set a new one up as it was only 2 weeks old. Decent. Old one will be used as a display (as I wrote this, I had a moment of realisation where my finger held on the 'y' as I realised my bike is probably going to be the one they 'DID' have on display. Will be checking that).

New bike is probably more of a pain than fixing the old one as I had it set up perfectly, the brakes dialled in and the gear index perfect.

Better than nothing though I guess.