Hunt Bike Wheels - Tape Safety Issue

1986sv
1986sv Posts: 83
edited May 2017 in Road general
Hunt email...

Thank you for your purchase of a pair of Hunt Bike Wheels. We have become aware of a safety case affecting the rim tape used on some Hunt wheelsets delivered between May 2016 and May 2017.

This e-mail will explain the case in more detail, including how to check if your wheels are affected and how to remedy the issue - please read it all carefully.

This email only relates to wheels fitted with just cream-white rim tape only. It is possible, over prolonged periods of use and under high tyre pressures, for the tape to deform until it makes contact with the spokes inside the rim wall, which can cause the rim tape to puncture and the tyre to lose pressure. This can happen both when using inner tubes or when using the wheels with a tubeless set-up. The rim tape puncturing has only been reported in 0.4% wheelsets with this set-up, which, as I'm sure you can appreciate is very low, however as with any other puncture, if the tyre loses pressure rapidly it can pose a risk of serious or fatal injury. We have very comprehensive communication with you our riders and always aim for the highest standards of safety data collection and safety actions hence why we are contacting you about this issue.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Needs to be a very shallow rim indeed
    left the forum March 2023
  • 1986sv
    Just done the Fred and there was two of us using them...I've got the cream-white tape.

Hoping they'll sort out some free sealant with the tape!
  • Why not just replace it yourself if you're that worried about losing pressure quickly and falling off and dying.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 1986sv
    They're sending some. So I'll do that. Top comment as usual.