New Bike, What Wheels......?

Robbo_123
Robbo_123 Posts: 5
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to cycling. The last time I was on a bike it had an engine! Somehow I have managed to get roped in to cycling from London to Paris next year with a few friends. One is a very keen rider so has given me quite a bit of advice. So I basically have a bike set up but I'm stuck on what wheels to choose. I'm torn between either Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG or Mavic Cosmic Elite 25mm WTS. I'm open to other suggestions but I'm looking for input on these two wheels. Also I was planning on using Continental GatorSkin tyres, good idea or not?

Thanks!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Your current bike has wheels? Use those.
  • Robbo_123
    Imposter wrote:
    Your current bike has wheels? Use those.

I don't own a bike at the moment. I will be selecting wheels and tyres when I purchase the bike.....
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Either of those wheels are fine. I assume you're spec'ing a new bike build (if not, just go with what it normally comes with)
    Gator skins are slow but puncture resistant. They can be a pain to get on and off depending on the rim.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Robbo_123
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Either of those wheels are fine. I assume you're spec'ing a new bike build (if not, just go with what it normally comes with)
    Gator skins are slow but puncture resistant. They can be a pain to get on and off depending on the rim.

Yes that's right, I'm spec'ing and new bike build. Regarding tyres in my price range I would have the following;

Schwalbe Durano RaceGuard Folding Tyre

Vittoria Rubino Pro G+ Isotech Folding Tyre

Continental GP4000S II Folding Tyre

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance V2 Folding Tyre

Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather

Any input as to which would be best?

Many thanks.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Continental GP4000S II Folding Tyre 25mm
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Ask 20 different people what wheels and tyres to get you get 20 different combinations of answer.

The Rubino graphene or conti GP4000 tyres would be great. With either of those wheels. Not the most puncture resistant but also not slow.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Robbo_123
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Ask 20 different people what wheels and tyres to get you get 20 different combinations of answer.

The Rubino graphene or conti GP4000 tyres would be great. With either of those wheels. Not the most puncture resistant but also not slow.

Thanks! I will try and get to my LBS and have a look at both the Mavic and Fulcrum wheels and the GP4000 and Rubino tyres.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Fulcrums + GP4000S II