Garmin 800 Euro NT Maps loading ?

ascurrell
ascurrell Posts: 1,739
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

Firstly I will admit I am a technophobe so apologies if question seems simple.

I have a Garmin Edge 800, I purchased it a near new 2nd hand last year. It works fine in this country but I would like to use it abroad. It comes with a "City Navigator Europe NT full coverage" sim card. It is the regular size sim card but the port on the Garmin is for a micro size sim card. There's nothing in the manuals / paperwork to explain.

Any help would be really appreciated on how to transfer the data / info, many thanks, Scurry

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You can't. City Navigator maps on SD card (not sim) are locked to the card. You can't copy them to different card and have them work. Just download OSM based maps of the regions you want and put those on the Garmin. They are free.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ is the easy place to get maps.
  • ascurrell
    Ok Thanks, wongataa.

I've read some small print on the box and it says Package contains "Edge 800, City Navigator Europe NT on micro card" plus other stuff.
    In the box is also as I previously mentioned the card with the maps. [not sure if you call it a sim or SD card]

I took the garmin to Spain last year and didn't work, do I have to activate it ?

All a bit confusing I think as it says on box etc it comes with maps

Cheers, alan
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Photo would help. Is it a micro SD card inserted in a full size SD card adapter? Can you pull it out?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've copied maps from one card to another with no issues. Have you enabled the map on the Edge 800? If you have the easiest way to see if they are working for Europe is to scroll the maps south to France.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • apreading
    redvee wrote:
    I've copied maps from one card to another with no issues. Have you enabled the map on the Edge 800? If you have the easiest way to see if they are working for Europe is to scroll the maps south to France.

Depends how you get the maps. Generally, if you bought them on a card pre-installed, I think they are locked to the card. If you installed them on a card from a CD or download then you are free to copy them around. My Ordnance Survey maps wont work except on the card they come on with the device.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    ascurrell wrote:
    Ok Thanks, wongataa.

I've read some small print on the box and it says Package contains "Edge 800, City Navigator Europe NT on micro card" plus other stuff.
    In the box is also as I previously mentioned the card with the maps. [not sure if you call it a sim or SD card]

I took the garmin to Spain last year and didn't work, do I have to activate it ?

All a bit confusing I think as it says on box etc it comes with maps

Cheers, alan
    The maps are on a micro SD card then and will work in the Edge. A SIM is something you put in a phone to access mobile phone networks. A micro SD card is a type of removable memory card an that is what you use with a Edge 800.

Put the micro SD card in the device. Turn it on. Go into the settings -> go to the map settings -> look at the map list and find the maps on the SD card and activate them. This should be in the instructions. There are also many guides on the internet. The maps will be out of date now so using OSM maps is still a good idea as you can update them whenever you like.
  • ascurrell
    Hi Guys, apologies for delay, it was dart finals night last night and was a late one lol.

Photo below, I have also gone into 'system' 'map information select map' and it actually says the maps are enabled so I am even more confused now. I took it to Spain last year and it didn't work at all.. Fortunately I took my old Edge 605 which worked fine

Thanks for all the help, it's very much appreciated, Scurry

DSCI2821_1.jpg
  • apreading
    Ah - so that completely changes the question...!

There is no issue with the card size etc - it was a micro SD card in a full size adapter, and you had already figured that out. We were focussing on the wrong part.

If it shows the maps listed when you turn the unit on and allows you to enable them but then doesnt display them then this is a different problem to what we were thinking about. When you say the maps are enabled, what is the name it specifically gives the maps? Normally there are at least two maps listed - base maps and CN Europe. If you just have base maps enabled then no surprise and if they are the only ones listed then its not reading the card properly or they arent on the card. If you have CN Europe maps enabled and they arent showing then I dont know - have you googled "garmin maps not displaying" or similar?
  • ascurrell
    apreading wrote:
    Ah - so that completely changes the question...!

There is no issue with the card size etc - it was a micro SD card in a full size adapter, and you had already figured that out. We were focussing on the wrong part.

If it shows the maps listed when you turn the unit on and allows you to enable them but then doesnt display them then this is a different problem to what we were thinking about. When you say the maps are enabled, what is the name it specifically gives the maps? Normally there are at least two maps listed - base maps and CN Europe. If you just have base maps enabled then no surprise and if they are the only ones listed then its not reading the card properly or they arent on the card. If you have CN Europe maps enabled and they arent showing then I dont know - have you googled "garmin maps not displaying" or similar?

Apologies for the confusion, I must admit I didn't realize that screen was there, as I said I am a technophobe, lol
    Below is what it shows, CheersDSCI2823.jpgs
  • apreading
    No idea why it wouldnt show - the maps are obviously on the card as they are shown on that screen, and as you say you have enabled them. Have you tried turning it off and on again once enabled - it goes through a 'loading maps' sequence when booting? Apart from that, I have no idea what to suggest.
  • ascurrell
    apreading wrote:
    No idea why it wouldnt show - the maps are obviously on the card as they are shown on that screen, and as you say you have enabled them. Have you tried turning it off and on again once enabled - it goes through a 'loading maps' sequence when booting? Apart from that, I have no idea what to suggest.

Hi, yes I've tried that. I'll take it away again this year and see if it's any different. I assume they were enabled last year because I haven't changed anything on it. I think I will take the 605 as well just in case.
    Thanks for all the help.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 134
    This might sound daft, but when I put maps on my 810 I enabled the maps I wanted to use and disabled the base maps, have you tried doing that to see if it makes a difference?

I see from your last picture that you have both maps enabled.
  • ascurrell
    Sorry marcarm, I've only just seen your suggestion. Sounds a good idea. I'll give it a try when I go to Spain, Cheers
  • apreading
    Why would it be any different when you are in Spain? Are you not in Europe at home?
  • ascurrell
    It didn't with the set up of both base maps and europe maps. I think what the guy is suggesting is that the base maps may be taking over. I know we're in europe but there seems to be something strange going on with the set up on my garmin so it wouldn't surprise me if it worked here and not in Spain, I'll only know when I try it in both places. Basically I'm clutching at straws, no one has come up with a definite reason, saying it's happen'd to them.
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    ascurrell wrote:
    It didn't with the set up of both base maps and europe maps. I think what the guy is suggesting is that the base maps may be taking over. I know we're in europe but there seems to be something strange going on with the set up on my garmin so it wouldn't surprise me if it worked here and not in Spain, I'll only know when I try it in both places. Basically I'm clutching at straws, no one has come up with a definite reason, saying it's happen'd to them.

Surely you can check it before you go to spain by opening the map page on the garmin, zooming out and then scrolling over to Spain and zooming back in? It shouldn't matter where you are as to whether the map displays or not
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    For reference, this is what it looks like on my Edge 810 when I do the same.

20170522_120234.jpg??raw=1

I only have a UK map loaded on, so when I reach the edge of my map (the south coast) then you see the pale cross-hatched area. If your europe maps are working you should be able to scroll all the way to spain without seeing this hatched area (it may take a while to load though so you'll need to be patient)
  • ascurrell
    pirnie wrote:
    For reference, this is what it looks like on my Edge 810 when I do the same.

20170522_120234.jpg??raw=1

I only have a UK map loaded on, so when I reach the edge of my map (the south coast) then you see the pale cross-hatched area. If your europe maps are working you should be able to scroll all the way to spain without seeing this hatched area (it may take a while to load though so you'll need to be patient)

Thanks Pirnie, I'll try that tomorrow. As I keep saying don't forget I am a technophobe !
  • apreading
    ascurrell wrote:

But surely you can get the map showing in the UK first? Then worry about whether or not it will work in Spain?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rather than seeing if the maps are working, have you tried searching for a well known street etc in Spain? Into Navigation try Spain -- Barcelona -- La Rambla -- 2 and see what happens.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ascurrell
    apreading wrote:
    ascurrell wrote:

But surely you can get the map showing in the UK first? Then worry about whether or not it will work in Spain?

Yes that's my problem, it has always worked in the UK but last year when I went to my wonderful Spanish Mother in laws it didn't work there. That's why I keep saying lets wait and see if it works in Spain, no matter what it does in the UK.

Following up from previous suggestion, when I zoom out etc I can get maps for France, Spain etc when both base maps and euro ones are enabled. Also with euro enabled on it's own. And with base enabled on it's own ??? I can even get Taiwan etc. Are there such maps as International that may already be loaded ?

As I previously said it's a case of trying in spain again. It was set up right before so I don't know what will change for the better ?