Rear wheel compatible with 9-Speed campag

Tommy0121
Tommy0121 Posts: 7
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a road bike that is currently running Camoagnolo Veloce - 9-speed, however the freewheel is now completely worn and I am in need of a new rear wheel.
I seem to be struggling to find any rear wheels that are campag compatible and was wondering what would be the cheapest way of getting around this? I have read about ambrosio converter cassettes, but was unsure of how they work.
Would anyone be able to shine some light on this situation, I thought I would just be able to pick up a wheel for £40-50 online :shock:

Thanks for your time

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    On a 9 speed Campagnolo system you can run 9 speed Shimano cassettes without any problems.
    So buy a Shimano hubbed wheel and be happy.
  • Tommy0121
    I didn't know that, so if I was to buy a 9 speed rear wheel and a tiagra 9 speed cassette, it would run the Veloce okay? I've seen mixed reviews online.
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 519
    The excellent Sheldon Brown website says that you can mix and match Shimano and Campagnolo cassettes, but it also says that the spacings are 4.55mm and 4.34mm. That is a difference of 1.68mm from one end of the cassette to the other. I can only see horrible clicking resulting from that difference, it might run but it won't be nice.

What part is worn? If it's the freehub you should be able to buy a spare for around £50, but these don't usually wear out. If it's the hub you could just treat yourself to a nice Campagnolo Khamsin wheelset. I know that is a lot more than you wanted to pay but they are very nice for the money, though nicer still at the closer to £100 that I paid last year but that's Brexit for you.
  • keezx
    The excellent Sheldon Brown website says that you can mix and match Shimano and Campagnolo cassettes, but it also says that the spacings are 4.55mm and 4.34mm. That is a difference of 1.68mm from one end of the cassette to the other. I can only see horrible clicking resulting from that difference, it might run but it won't be nice.

Adjust in the middle and the max,. difference is only < 1 mm , nothing horrible.
    On my winterbike it works perfect.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I have Campag 10s levers on my bikes and with Campag front and mechs. I have a Shimano 9 hub on
    all of my rear wheels, with Shimano 9s cassettes. Shifts perfectly.
  • Pretty sure I've got a spare kmasin lying around somewhere that I could do you a deal on.. Minimal mileage as just used them in between other sets. Probably under 500miles at a guess
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    any campagnolo 9/10/11 speed wheels will work. miche make good wheels for not alot of money but more than £50 as pairs are generally sold simply because shops would have lots of fronts left.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    the op's solution
    campag 9 speed works well with shimano 7 or 8 speed depending on if you have old or new campag 9 speed. the cable pull changed around 2001.
    hubbub cable routing is found here and details of good shimetgo marriages found here.
    http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... s/shimergo

10 speed campag does not shift perfectly with 9 speed shimano cassette. you may think it is perfect but since the sprocket spacing are wrong for the cable pulled a rear derailleur geometry it could be alot better.

campag 10 speed ergo and mech give 4.35mm sprocket spacing and shimano 9 speed has 4.15mm spacing so even if you start indexing in the middle of the cassette you have 0.8mm of mis alignment in the big and small sprocket. not perfect at all.

with the hubbub cable routing the 10 speed campag and 9 speed shimano cassette works very well though.

hubbub cable routing is found here and details of good shimetgo marriages found here.
    http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... s/shimergo

again in reply to another poster suggestion shimano 9 speed and campanolo 9 speed are imcompatible. if you think it works thats fine but your indexing is not spot on either.

sorry to correct everyone but we are meant to helping people here achieve a good set up not accomplish a so so bodge.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Tommy0121
    Pretty sure I've got a spare kmasin lying around somewhere that I could do you a deal on.. Minimal mileage as just used them in between other sets. Probably under 500miles at a guess

And they would be compatible with my 9 speed campag cassette?
  • keezx
    ANY 9/10/11 speed Campagnolo body is compatible with Campagnolo 9 speed cassettes without any complications.