Advice on versatile gravel bike (Kona Rove ST/Giant Revolt 1/Rose PRO DX CROSS)

JordiBN
JordiBN Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Cyclocross
Hi everyone,

So I've finally decided to sell my road bike for good in favour of a gravel bike, in order to reduce the amount of road I ride in long rides. I currently own a Cube Peloton Race (~9kg) and a Scott Genius 740 all mountain bike (~13.5 kg), so the technical and serious trails are already covered by the Scott.

I'm basically looking for a gravel bike which allows me to do almost the same as my old road bike (just by changing the tyres), but that it will also allow me to ride fire roads and easy single-tracks. I'm quite fit and I like to push myself on the bike, but my main goal is to go for long rides and explore my surroundings. I live in Grenoble in the French Alps, so everything is pretty steep around here.

My choice so far has been narrowed down to 3 bikes (in no particular order):

- Kona Rove ST 2017 (1500 €)

Full details here: http://konaworld.com/rove_st.cfm

1136651d1494492328t-advice-versatile-gravel-grinder-kona-rove-st-giant-revolt-1-rose-pro-dx-cross-dsc_0312-1024x685.jpg

Pros:
- Steel frame
- Looks!
- SRAM 1x11 (?)

Cons:
- Weight (10.7 kg without pedals)
- Road use?

- Giant Revolt 1 2017 (1200 €)

Full details here: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/revolt-1

1136652d1494492717t-advice-versatile-gravel-grinder-kona-rove-st-giant-revolt-1-rose-pro-dx-cross-giant_revolt_2017_x-road_bike-04.jpg

Pros:
- Geometry looks pretty good for offroad riding and even slightly technical descents
- Big tyre clearence

Cons:
- Weird frame
- Weight (10.5 without pedals)

- Rose PRO DX CROSS-2000 (1400€)

Full details here: https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro ... aid:889054

1136653d1494493405t-advice-versatile-gravel-grinder-kona-rove-st-giant-revolt-1-rose-pro-dx-cross-rose-crosser.jpg

Pros:
- Best components for the price (Shimano 105 and Mavic wheels)
- Weight (9.2 kg without pedals)

Cons:
- Maybe too racy? How does it fare offroad and for long distances?
- Too cyclocross-y?

So what do you think? Has anyone of you ridden any of these bikes? What would you recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Rose is the best value by a mile. The geometry looks more like a traditional racy cyclocross bike but I'd see this as a good thing unless you need to be in an upright position for your fit. This is assuming you don't need the versatility of mudguard and rack mounts.
  • JordiBN
    Well, in fact the Rose can actually install mudguard and rack mounts. However, it's this racier geometry that makes me hesitate about its descent capabilities offroad, mostly on some easy singletrack. The shorter wheelbase and reach compared to the Kona make it probably better suited for road but less stable on the rough stuff.

Has anybody experience on the Kona Rove ST on road and the Rose on offroad descents?
  • trek_dan
    Shorter wheelbase, reach and higher BB will make it better off road...
  • JordiBN
    On switchbacks yes, but not while rolling obstacles at decent speed. Moreover, it makes it easier to go OTB.
  • trek_dan
    To a point yes, but bearing in mind you're already a lot more stretched out on a cyclocross bike than you would be on a MTB I think longer TT length giving better balance over roots etc isn't right - if you feel a bike is too short could just add a longer stem. The major limiting factor of how off-road you can take a cross/gravel bike will be tyre size not geometry. Personally I've never had any issue with doing light trails on a normal cyclocross bike with 32c tyres, as long as it doesn't involve any major rock gardens, jumps or drop bigger than a few inches I'm good.
  • JordiBN
    In the end I have made up my mind, the Rose PRO DX CROSS-2200 is definitely the best bike for the price. At 1500€, with 9.1 kg and the fact that I can fully customize it makes a huge difference.

I'm gonna go with a SRAM Apex 42t with a 11-42t cassette, Challenge Gravel Grinder 36c tyres and a Ritchey Venturemax handlebar (24º flare). Moreover, in grey it looks pretty awesome.

1136677d1494518041t-advice-versatile-gravel-grinder-kona-rove-st-giant-revolt-1-rose-pro-dx-cross-018.jpg
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Have you ruled out the £900 Pinnacle Arkose X 2017? https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ar ... e-EV275629

On the plus side, you get proper hydraulics, tubeless ready wheels and 45c tyre clearance.

On the potential negative side, you have a bar end shifter and 1x10 (38/11-36) gearing.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Mototarka
    Mototarka Posts: 31
    Has anyone seen the new Verenti Substance?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substan ... ke-yellow/
    looks like a good deal with most up to date bits like thru axles, tapered fork, good tyre clearance. Just the cro-mo frame is a big question...