Changing cassette size

Pjb75
Pjb75 Posts: 4
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Looking for help on weather I can change my cassette to a 34-11 tooth . It was originally a 28-11 which I changed to 30-11 on a 9 speed sora gear system and I am off to ride the alps in June and hoping to get as much help as possible with a 34-11 cassette or bigger if possible
Many thanks

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Depends on which generation of Sora it is. The 3400 officially takes a maximum of a 27 tooth sprocket, the 3500 up to a 32.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Pjb75
    Svetty wrote:
    Depends on which generation of Sora it is. The 3400 officially takes a maximum of a 27 tooth sprocket, the 3500 up to a 32.....
    Thanks for reply.Have 30 on at the mo so you think I can only go upto a 32 max . How do I find out which genaration I have , is it mark somewhere ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pjb75 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Thanks for reply.Have 30 on at the mo so you think I can only go upto a 32 max . How do I find out which genaration I have , is it mark somewhere ?
    The RD-Rxxx number stamped onto the back of the main housing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Pjb75
    Thanks, any other tips to make it easier in the alps
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Pjb75 wrote:
    Thanks, any other tips to make it easier in the alps

Get fitter? :P Kidding... (kind of)

What front chain rings are you running? If you're not on 50/34 then a switch to that will help, plus a 32T on the back should get you up anything as long as you're not planning on loaded touring! Otherwise there's always the option of a triple groupset, that could give you a 30/32 bottom crawling speed bottom gear.