Oil build up on chain

Roberty
Roberty Posts: 5
edited May 2017 in The workshop
Hi all,

No matter how or what I adjust I cannot prevent a buid of oil on one side of my chain (of course the other side is shiny), so it seems my chain must be rubbing somewhere on the drivetrain and therefore unwanted wear is taking place, but I fail to visibly see where. The bike is a PlanetX XLS Carbon flatbar running a complete Shimano Tiagra set up with a KMC X10 chain and gear changing appears good. HELP !!!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The side of the chain closer to the frame is cleaned somewaht everytime you shift to a larger sprocket as it rubs before engaging and shifting, it doesn't happen nearly so much on the front (and you don't shift as often anyway, in fact many never shift), completely normal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Good answer there. If you give your cassette a proper clean and degrease it - it will reduce the transfer - but it sounds normal.
  • Roberty
    Roberty Posts: 5
    Thanks for the answer, the thing is though the build up is on the opposite side of the chain
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Use a different lube. I don't use oil based for this reason as you need to clean the chain.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, if you have a build up of oil it needs cleaning, until they invent self cleaning chains (and rear mechs) that's down to the rider!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.