Replacing shifters?

Uber_Pod
Uber_Pod Posts: 110
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I thinking about replacing new deore (M596?) shifters with older SLX/XT/XTR shifters.

Am I right in assuming all 9 speed (shimano) shifters are compatible with all 9 speed (shimano) mechanisms?
(I know about the dual control ones - I'll avoid them)
Is it just a case of fitting the cable to the new shifter?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Uber_Pod wrote:
    I thinking about replacing new deore (M596?) shifters with older SLX/XT/XTR shifters.
    Is it just a case of fitting the cable to the new shifter?
    Though by the time you've pulled the old cable out through the old shifter chances are the end will be frayed so would suggest new cable too, assuming the new (older) shifters don't come with one already fitted (which is fairly usual).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Thanks, that's really helpful.
    Now I know it *can* work, I can keep an eye out for any cheap ones for sale and work out the details of actually fitting them later. :)

I was (and still am!) tempted to change to 2x10 using cast-offs but the whole point of this bike was that it was cheap and to a budget.
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    I personally downgraded from 10 to 9 speed to save on maintenance costs. Currently running 36-26 front, 12-36 rear. Can't complain. Plenty of speed downhill, enough gears for climbing. For cross country trail riding sufficient in every regard.
    Unless you actually get a wide range 10 speed cassette, which is way more expensive anyways, there's practically no benefit over the 9 speed, safe for 1 tooth wider range, which IMHO isn't enough to be relevant. Also, the lower range allows me to run a short cage mech, which slams about noticeably less on rocky descents.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except you can't get a 9 speed clutch mech, which is obviously gnarlier and more enduro.

I automatically replace inners and outers when doing anything. I buy stainless inners half a dozen at a time, and Shimano SP41 outer in 5 or 10m lengths from CRC. Plus a ready stash of cable ends etc. For the few £s it costs to replace, it's worth it in decent shifting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seconded, nice new (to you) shifters and old knackered cables is a sure fire route to dissatisfaction!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh, cables are dirt cheap anyway, no reason not to replace them in as part of the job unless they are already brand spanking new.