Specialized Sirrus 2010 - Anyone know model of the crankarm/set? or a good replacement?

cammey
cammey Posts: 17
edited July 2017 in Workshop
Hello, appreciate any help with this problem!

The pedal came off the right crank arm the other day and the threading in the arm was very smooth/worn and the pedal has no grip in the arm anymore. After looking closer i noticed it had the L pedal on the right arm :( Bought the bike second hand a month ago and guy must of did it accidentally.

Couldnt find the crankset/part i need through google, so hoping one of you guys has/had the bike and could tell me which crankset/part i may need. Or a replacment similar to it. Money is a tight spot atm, as im sitting driving lessons etc, so hopefully i can just get the new crank arm and put it on without forking out for a whole set. As much as i have taken a keen love to cycling i know i may have to retire it for a while if its too expensve :oops:

Also since the right pedal is in the left arm, will that be damaged too?

Thanks for reading and any help!

Comments

• cammey
    Was looking online and Helicoil fitting sounds like a cheaper solution, I contacted the local bike places but non seem to do it :(
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    cammey wrote:

The pedal came off the right crank arm the other day and the threading in the arm was very smooth/worn and the pedal has no grip in the arm anymore. After looking closer i noticed it had the L pedal on the right arm :( Bought the bike second hand a month ago and guy must have did it accidentally.

Couldnt find the crankset/part i need through google, so hoping one of you guys has/had the bike and could tell me which crankset/part i may need. Or a replacment similar to it. Money is a tight spot atm, as im sitting driving lessons etc, so hopefully i can just get the new crank arm and put it on without forking out for a whole set. As much as i have taken a keen love to cycling i know i may have to retire it for a while if its too expensve :oops:

I'm assuming that it uses a traditional square taper bottom bracket. If true, and you're not fussy you need a triple chainset with square taper fitting. A shimano alivio should set you back about £20. Or something second hand on ebay. Check the length of your current cranks, get the same.
  • cammey
    Alex99 wrote:
    cammey wrote:

The pedal came off the right crank arm the other day and the threading in the arm was very smooth/worn and the pedal has no grip in the arm anymore. After looking closer i noticed it had the L pedal on the right arm :( Bought the bike second hand a month ago and guy must have did it accidentally.

I'm assuming that it uses a traditional square taper bottom bracket. If true, and you're not fussy you need a triple chainset with square taper fitting. A shimano alivio should set you back about £20. Or something second hand on ebay. Check the length of your current cranks, get the same.

Thanks, will check and look into it! No idea what all those big terms are but google will help :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It does come with square taper bottom bracket - so the Alivio should be right - but to be sure, why don't you take a photo of it and post it here.
  • Alex99
    cammey wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    cammey wrote:

Thanks, will check and look into it! No idea what all those big terms are but google will help :D

Yes, if you intend to do this yourself (and you don't know the terms I've used), you'll need to learn a bit. You'll also need the proper tools such as a crank puller to get the old crank arms off.
  • cammey
    Slowbike wrote:
    It does come with square taper bottom bracket - so the Alivio should be right - but to be sure, why don't you take a photo of it and post it here.

Heres a piccy, would be great if you could let me know, then i'll get onto finding Alivio set :) Thanks !

IMG_201705116665_134845_zps9ucga7ua.jpg
  • cammey
    Alex99 wrote:
    cammey wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    cammey wrote:

Yes, if you intend to do this yourself (and you don't know the terms I've used), you'll need to learn a bit. You'll also need the proper tools such as a crank puller to get the old crank arms off.

Seen a crank puller for pretty cheap, if there any other tool's will i'll need? Haven't got a socket set, but looks like it's hex keys to unslacken it in the pic above? Thanks for the help!
  • Alex99
    cammey wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Heres a piccy, would be great if you could let me know, then i'll get onto finding Alivio set :) Thanks !

Can't tell from that angle. Need a shot of the other side, so I can see the bottom bracket axle between the left crank arm and the bottom bracket shell in the frame. Alternatively, google "square taper bottom bracket" and you'll see what it it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you change cranks you'll need to make sure the new one needs the same BB axle length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cammey
    Alex99 wrote:
    cammey wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Can't tell from that angle. Need a shot of the other side, so I can see the bottom bracket axle between the left crank arm and the bottom bracket shell in the frame. Alternatively, google "square taper bottom bracket" and you'll see what it it.

Sorry for the very late reply(2 months :O) reply, i've been on my holidays :)

Took a couple more pics just now, looks like i'll have to get a crankset. Took it to the local engineer(no bike shop or car garage around here could do it) and the guy said he didn't have the right sized helicoil or he could have.
    IMG_20170704_160626_zpsolqlvwbu.jpg

IMG_20170704_160558_zpsfb1psmvo.jpg

IMG_20170704_160510_zpss30nacq6.jpg

Will order a alivio crankset if you think it'll be fine :) I did notice on a website it says the crankset is a shimano tiagra, would any shimano tiagra set fit it?

Thanks for the help!
  • cammey
    After a wee google, i think the crankset is a Shimano FC-M191 , but its sold out everywhere i check :(
  • cammey
    update :

After looking online online, someone on a diff forum with a diff bike replaced their old Fc -m191 with a Shimano FC-M171 , would that be ok for my bike too possibly? as i can purchase one of those online atm :)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yes, that would work.

If you're doing it yourself you'll need an extractor to get the old one off - which requires a spanner to turn it - and then an Allen key to put the new one on.

Dead easy though.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • cammey
    k-dog wrote:
    Yes, that would work.

If you're doing it yourself you'll need an extractor to get the old one off - which requires a spanner to turn it - and then an Allen key to put the new one on.

Dead easy though.

Thanks for the info! :) All the videos i watched show a Torque wrench which i dont have....will try it with a spanner liek you said when i receive the crank :)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You would only use a torque wrench for the bottom bracket install so if you're leaving that alone you just need a spanner. I've got a big adjustable one I use for those.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.