Fulcrum Racing 5 lg CX Vs Quattro lg CX

sextoke1
sextoke1 Posts: 133
edited May 2017 in Road general
I had Fulcrum racing 55lg on my bike and I am thinking of upgrading. I used the 55's in the winter and had my Mavic Ksyrium Elite on for the summer. I found that I got better speed out of the cheaper 55's. Time to upgrade and I might leave these wheels on all year around. My picks are Racing 5 lg Cx or the quattro lg CX. I like the 17c wide wheel as I run Conti 4000sii 25c tyres on both wheels. The CX will give me better weather protection. So the choice is the 5 or the quattro's. My weight is 97kgs and the bike is a Focus Cayo 2 (2015) DI2. Can any tell me the advantages and disavantages of both. I ride 60% of my time in a group and 50% of that time is rolling.

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    At 97kg buy something with more spokes.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    ^wot he said.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    FR5's are capable of carrying the weight - dunno what Fulcrum's max weight recommendation is though.

I've got Quattros for my road and TT bike - not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between them and 5's - in my head, the additional rim depth helps with the aerodynamics - but on the road I doubt it makes any noticable difference.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Only difference the rim depth on the Quattro's make is there are a tad heavier and look slightly better or not depending on your view on aesthetics. I have a set of Quattro's and find them a bit meh to be honest, had issues with the bearings but think the CX version will solve that problem, but they are just a bit uninspiring.

When i bought them I was 95kg and they never seemed to flex much and are still running true, so they have that going for them.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    JesseD wrote:
    Only difference the rim depth on the Quattro's make is there are a tad heavier and look slightly better or not depending on your view on aesthetics. I have a set of Quattro's and find them a bit meh to be honest, had issues with the bearings but think the CX version will solve that problem, but they are just a bit uninspiring.

When i bought them I was 95kg and they never seemed to flex much and are still running true, so they have that going for them.
    Thanks for that. I read some where that the Quattro was suppose to be a better wheel for a heavier ride than the racing 5. I never had a problem with the racing 5 (4,000km) only water in the front bearings ( grease was a light brown and slightly rough). The other thing I noticed that the rim braking surace was down to the wear inicating hole. Any other type of wheelset out there for around £250 as an option ?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    2.4k miles is nothing for a rim - I got 12k out of a pair of Mavic's used in all weather and they probably have a little life left.

If they're only lasting 2.4k miles and your having problems with front bearings I'd suggest skipping Fulcrum.

If me, at that weight I'd be looking at some handbuilt's made specially for the heavier rider.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you're only getting a couple of thousand miles from a rim then something is wrong - you're dragging brakes - or have used sandpaper for blocks ....
  • Slowbike wrote:
    FR5's are capable of carrying the weight - dunno what Fulcrum's max weight recommendation is though.
    They avoid the issue a bit but do say if you're over 82 Kg then the wheels may need more frequent attention.