Numb toes

marcarm
marcarm Posts: 134
edited May 2017 in Road beginners
What are the likely causes of numb toes while riding?

Cheap shoes? I just have those dhb ones from wiggle. Shoes too tight? I've tried adjusting etc but they end up too loose. Played with my cleat position as well but no change.

Its always my small toes on my right foot and my big toe on my left, shoes are the right size. Tried double socking and extra insoles but no difference.

Comments

• onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    Do your toes naturally point outward when you're standing still? Or walking for that matter? If so, you'll need to install your cleats at an angle to accommodate the natural position of your feet. That might help..
  • marcarm
    I did the 'sit on a table and let your legs dangle free' thing before adjusting my cleats and both feet are pretty much straight.

Will enlist the help of SWMBO and see if I can make adjustments in case they are not right.
  • dhungerf
    dhungerf Posts: 65
    I had the same problem, this is what fixed it:

Don't over tighten your shoes, tighten them to the point where you think that they are just a bit loose and start there, you can always tighten them a bit during the ride but if they are to tight and your feet start to get numb, its to late, loosening them at this point wont work.

Start with them loose but tight enough to keep your foot from slipping.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    Having had the same thing every ride for a while a couple of years ago, I can certainly vouch for loosening the shoes. As I have very flat and tehrfore wide feet, I eventually I went for a wide fitting shoe (Bont Riot) and have no problem any more
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    dhungerf wrote:
    I had the same problem, this is what fixed it:

Don't over tighten your shoes, tighten them to the point where you think that they are just a bit loose and start there, you can always tighten them a bit during the ride but if they are to tight and your feet start to get numb, its to late, loosening them at this point wont work.

Start with them loose but tight enough to keep your foot from slipping.

I usually scrunch my toes up a bit so they push up in the shoe to make sure I cant over tighten them, got a friend doing the same after he had numb toe issues
  • ProjectObject
    ProjectObject Posts: 145
    I had the same thing, right foot only. I moved the cleat back towards heel just a fraction. That sorted the problem. Not had an issue since.
  • marcarm
    Thanks all, will try those suggestions on my ride on Saturday
  • geryben
    geryben Posts: 15
    Better then numb penis...
  • Gouldy-89
    Gouldy-89 Posts: 49
    Just gone through this too, having the shoes feel just about loose and all the numbness went and felt a lot more comfortable in general.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    geryben wrote:
    Better then numb penis...

That happens too!