Climbing wheelset help needed

Balazsgal
Balazsgal Posts: 65
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,doing the marmote this year and looking for a climbing set for my Tcr.thinking these three sets:

Fulcrum racing zero c17
Dura ace c24 9100
Mavic sys slr

Just wondering does it worth sacrificing the extra cash on the mavic set?is that so much better than tbe other too?fulcrum and dura are about 900 euros,tbe mavics about 1600.any help would be appreciated and any explanation why the mavics so expensive vs the two other sets.yhanz in advance

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    What do you have at the moment?
    What's your weight?

A pair of Zonda are probably 200 grams heavier than the above and come at a small fraction of the price.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Here we go again. You can do the Marmotte with Zondas which cost £300. If you want to spend more money then pick the set that you like the look of.

A good training programme and getting the pace right on the day will make a huge difference. Enjoy the event, it is highly rated.

Edit: ha, posted at the same time as Ugo
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Amidst the throngs of people in your way you are not going to notice the weight saving. If anything, I'd be more interested in getting a set of wheels that offers better braking in the wet just in case, like some magics with exalith braking surface.

Or just get some zondas.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Get your gearing sorted before investing in an expensive set of wheels.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    NapoleonD wrote:
    like some magics with exalith braking surface.

I agree they are like magic!

When I used to go from riding my winter bike with normal brakes to riding my bike with Exalith brakes, I used to nearly put myself over the bars first at the first heavy braking moment!
    They really are excellent.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Shamal Mille -- nobody has said it yet, so an omission well worth considering
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    The Shamals whilst being a lovely wheel are more than double the price of Zondas and all that extra dosh seems to buy you are some funky ceramic bearings and carbon hubs. Whether that translates to any actual performance gains on the road is questionable.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I remember a mate busting his funky wheels on the first day in the Alps. Rolf Vector - low spoke count. Made the bike completely unrideable and he had to hitch to the top of a mountain and buy a replacement wheelset or sit out the rest of the holiday.

Sensible wheels trump ultra lightweight ones. You're only competing against yourself and any wheelset will get you round. And yes braking properly would be far more important to me than 10 secs saving uphill.
  • As others have said, the Mavic wheels with Exalith brake track would be a sensible choice, and I think the Shamals now have a similar brake surface? Haven't ridden those yet though.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    DTSwiss PR1400 Dicut Oxic wheelset looks intersting too

https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-Whe ... DICUT-OXiC
  • ugo.santalucia
    robbo2011 wrote:

Not sure how accurate the description is... I don't think it is possible to build a 1400 g set using 28 DT aerocomp as spokes... they must use lighter ones at the front and possible the rear non drive side
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Amidst the throngs of people in your way you are not going to notice the weight saving. If anything, I'd be more interested in getting a set of wheels that offers better braking in the wet just in case, like some magics with exalith braking surface.

Or just get some zondas.

Some kind of electrified cattle catcher might be good
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    robbo2011 wrote:

Not sure how accurate the description is... I don't think it is possible to build a 1400 g set using 28 DT aerocomp as spokes... they must use lighter ones at the front and possible the rear non drive side
    Lets do some maths, yay.

Rear wheel quoted as 800g.

24 spoke rear - 142g
    Rim looks similar to 411 which they quote at - 435g
    Let's say they're using their 240s hub - 212g

Comes to 789g, leaving 11g for nipples, which sounds about right for Alu nipples.

So yeah, it's possible, or at the very least, their quoted wheel weight is no more wrong than their quoted component weights.
  • ugo.santalucia
    TimothyW wrote:
    robbo2011 wrote:

Lets do some maths, yay.

Rear wheel quoted as 800g.

24 spoke rear - 142g
    Rim looks similar to 411 which they quote at - 435g
    Let's say they're using their 240s hub - 212g

Comes to 789g, leaving 11g for nipples, which sounds about right for Alu nipples.

So yeah, it's possible, or at the very least, their quoted wheel weight is no more wrong than their quoted component weights.

I did count 28 spokes, but maybe I am getting old... also, the length they quote the weight for spokes is unrealistic... 28 DT aero comp spokes in sensible length weigh 200 grams.
    It's marginal, but I don't think you can go under 1500
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Deep section, deeper the better. A little slower on the way up but a lot faster on the way down.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    Deep section, deeper the better. A little slower on the way up but a lot faster on the way down.

A disk rear obviously :lol:
  • robbo2011
    [quote="ugo.santalucia
    I did count 28 spokes, but maybe I am getting old... also, the length they quote the weight for spokes is unrealistic... 28 DT aero comp spokes in sensible length weigh 200 grams.
    It's marginal, but I don't think you can go under 1500[/quote]

Don't forget that they are not standard 240 hubs, there are milled areas between the spoke holes which will lose some weight.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    robbo2011 wrote:
    [quote="ugo.santalucia
    It's marginal, but I don't think you can go under 1500

Don't forget that they are not standard 240 hubs, there are milled areas between the spoke holes which will lose some weight.[/quote]

Somewhat by the by, you can use the DT spoke calculator to calculate weights also -
    https://spokes-calculator.dtswiss.com/en/calculator

With standard 240S hubs, 511 rims and aero comp spokes it comes out at 1488g - 671g front, 817g rear.
  • robbo2011
    Nobody has mentioned the most interesting part of the DTSwiss wheels and that is the ceramic coating. Looks very promising for long life and good braking. They need Swissstop BHP blue pads.

A riding buddy has a pair of these wheels, he is very happy with them.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Ambrosia Chrono rims. The best Vittoria tubs. 28 spokes unless your over 80 kgs than go for 32. DT Swiss Revolution spokes.
    Some nice hubs. You'll feel like you are gliding on air.

I dont know how fit you are but by the time you get to the bottom of Alpe D'huez you wont give two f**ks what wheels you've got. As long as they are round and there's air in the tyres.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • imf73
    imf73 Posts: 9
    I was also looking at the Mavic R-SYS wheels. Had anyone ridden them? They do look v light & I think look good but are they strong with those carbon spokes?
    Will they also do as a generalist wheel although they are touted as a climbing wheel?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Chrono in 28h drilling are not performance wheels. They are not stiff and over time fatigue will be an issue. The rim will for most outlast the spokes. Wrong way round. Increasing the spoke count will help but you would be better of with the nemesis rim on the rear if you are over 80kg.

I have wheels like this and they may feel light but they are not quick wheels either.

In my opinion it is overall rider and bike weight reduction that makes a difference on a climb. Saving 200g on wheels make sod all difference. If you can save a kilo on wheels then fine but if you are saving alot less the bebefit will going to be marginal at best.

Better to go with stiff wheels these do everything well. The mavics with the carbon spokes are quite stiff.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    hunt wheels. £379 for a set of there aero clinchers, great stopping as there not carbon and only weigh 1440g..

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... eep-22wide