Winter and summer bike?

2»

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    fat daddy wrote:
    It's summer now, buy the nice bike.

If you decide you like riding in crap weather then when the winter comes buy yourself a second hand winter bike for a lot less that you can abuse

that sounds like a plan.
    You can get something from PlanetX (London Road maybe?) or Decathlon for a 500 quid for winter use. Less second hand. Winter does take it out of bikes.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • LloydyUK
    LloydyUK Posts: 11
    w00dster wrote:
    clean your bike regularly.
    Hosepipe and washing up liquid after every winter ride, takes me 10 minutes.
    You should avoid using washing up liquid because of the salts that it contains. A car shampoo, even a cheap one, would be much better for your bike.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    I'd recommend getting a bike you can keep for years and still love that has multiple use.
    -ti or steel that can take a beating, because you will scratch up carbon and probably have a few falls if you're a new rider.
    -Tiagra groupset is all you need.
    -CX can do bikepacking, commuting, CX racing and any kind of road riding, lovely high BB nice clearance.
    -Hydraulic disk brakes so you don't wear out rims on salty roads and can stop well in the wet.
    -Wider tires can handle winter road washouts, could experiment with tubeless tires and rims.

You could still spend over well 3000 pounds if you got a Titanium frame bike anyhow. Get a nice carbon frame bike when you've decided if you want to do Triathlon/TT, Aero or climbing, crits, sportives or whatever later.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I'm an all-year bike guy. Don't ever use full guards for proper cycling - just a Zefal Swan or Ass-saver. Disc brakes so no wheel or braking issues and plenty of room for big tyres. Apply some anti-dirt spray to help keep it clean. Hose it off once in a while.

Same here. If it's especially filthy I get out the mtb or just stay at home.
  • Currently only have one road bike.

But, you know, cyclocross looks fun and 2017 bikes will be on offer soon... :wink::D