groupset upgrade

Vanguard5
Vanguard5 Posts: 6
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi to all, im kinda new to this so here it goes, want to upgrade my mtb current groupset
Speed: 27S
Shifting lever: SHIMANO SL-M370
F deraileur: SHIMANO ALTUS FD-M370
R deraileur: SHIMANO ALTUS RD-M370
Brake: SHIMANO HYDRAULIC DISC
Chainwheel: UPLAND INTEGRATED BB 44/32/22T
Wheels: UPLAND 29A W/SHIMANO HUBS
The bottom bracket is a Prowheel BC1.37X24T also the crank is Prowheel 170mm.
I comune to work daily whick is around 30km come and go and on the weekends a 50 to 60km on/off road ride with a group safety in numbers :D anyway my current gruppo really doesnt inspire a feeling of security and confidence especially on long rides. So started looking around and started getting confused as to what i need i've sought of boiled down to a SLX or XT groupset, now having the 3x9 i realized that i never used the gamma of gears so i'm eyeing the 2x10 or 2x11 groups but i'm not sure if they fit my bike or what exactly i need to make them fit. Would value someones expert advise and insight on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

p.s dont know if anymore info is required also still trying to learn the terminology, bare with me.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And the bike is? With a link preferably.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't understand squiggles, but I'd change the forks before the drivetrain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Vanguard5
    http://www.qatarliving.com/items/bicycl ... o-aluminum
    ok, try this link you can see it better here, already changed the forks
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Upgrading your groupset​ is a very expensive way to get a new bike. I'd only do it when a part breaks.

And then I'd just go with the Next level up.
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    Honestly, what cougie says. Unless you have a really good frame, which I don't think you do, don't bother investing as much into the bike. Buying individual parts is more expensive than buying a whole bike, unless you're buying used at killer prices.
    So if you want a better overall groupset, get a whole new bike. Look into your options. Selling your bike and buying a new one, or possibly getting a much better used bike.

You might consider a wider tyre. 2.1 is what I'd consider to be on the skinny side of the spectrum. I personally run 2.4 on my 29er. Would go even wider if my setup allowed it.

Other than that, I'd personally just save up for a better bike.
  • Vanguard5
    Honestly, what cougie says. Unless you have a really good frame, which I don't think you do, don't bother investing as much into the bike. Buying individual parts is more expensive than buying a whole bike, unless you're buying used at killer prices.
    So if you want a better overall groupset, get a whole new bike. Look into your options. Selling your bike and buying a new one, or possibly getting a much better used bike.

You might consider a wider tyre. 2.1 is what I'd consider to be on the skinny side of the spectrum. I personally run 2.4 on my 29er. Would go even wider if my setup allowed it.

Other than that, I'd personally just save up for a better bike.

To say the truth i have been looking around at different bikes and prices some new but mainly used in good nik of course just so i can put a target cost of buying something as another option as opposed to upgrading this one. Anyway thanks for your opinions much appreciated. One more thing in regards to the wider tyre, since i ride mainly to work and back on daily basis on asphalt road isnt more friction more effort or do i have this wrong ?
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    Well, I suggested it mainly as a means of improving your confidence off-road. If your primary concern is road, then a wider tyre won't be much help. In fact, on longer rides, it would be worse due to the added weight. That said, when I go for group rides, I ride my MTB and I have no problem covering 80+km on asphalt. And speaking strictly for myself, I'd say whatever disadvantage the wider tyre has, the advantages vastly outweigh it.

With all that said, I have a bit more expensive XC trail hardtail which, after adding the heavier tyres and some mud on the frame, still fits under 12kg - by some people's standards, the limit above which a bike may start to feel sluggish as far XC goes. And I mostly care about how the bike handles off-road.

Used to ride 2.1 on my old bike. The new (current) bike had 2.25 and I went for 2,4 after a few months. I was worried about it being slower but honestly, I barely noticed it. In fact, if I didn't know the new tyre was on, I'd have no idea.
    Strictly for mountain biking purposes, it's awesome. The wider tyre gives you more overall grip, better cornering traction and since you will run it at a lower pressure, much more damping. Also, there's apparently some studies showing that the wider tyre has less rolling resistance off-road. Kinda makes sense since it's just going to comply with the terrain and roll over stuff, instead of bumping around.
  • Vanguard5
    Well, I suggested it mainly as a means of improving your confidence off-road. If your primary concern is road, then a wider tyre won't be much help. In fact, on longer rides, it would be worse due to the added weight. That said, when I go for group rides, I ride my MTB and I have no problem covering 80+km on asphalt. And speaking strictly for myself, I'd say whatever disadvantage the wider tyre has, the advantages vastly outweigh it.

With all that said, I have a bit more expensive XC trail hardtail which, after adding the heavier tyres and some mud on the frame, still fits under 12kg - by some people's standards, the limit above which a bike may start to feel sluggish as far XC goes. And I mostly care about how the bike handles off-road.

Used to ride 2.1 on my old bike. The new (current) bike had 2.25 and I went for 2,4 after a few months. I was worried about it being slower but honestly, I barely noticed it. In fact, if I didn't know the new tyre was on, I'd have no idea.
    Strictly for mountain biking purposes, it's awesome. The wider tyre gives you more overall grip, better cornering traction and since you will run it at a lower pressure, much more damping. Also, there's apparently some studies showing that the wider tyre has less rolling resistance off-road. Kinda makes sense since it's just going to comply with the terrain and roll over stuff, instead of bumping around.

Ok, thanks again for the insight LimitedGarry. i'll be needing tyres soon i suppose and read some reviews on the Maxxis crossmark 2 as a good on/off.