Does a KOM count when you drafted a lorry?

2»

Comments

• imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Alex99 wrote:
    imafatman wrote:
    Making it pure power contest would be so dull.

The point of using power data is to compare whether someone was drafting behind a lorry or they actually put out serious watts. It also accounts for things like head/tail winds. Also stops people riding up on a scooter and claiming a KOM they didn't earn.

But as I said, I'm not bothered about KOMs, too many variables to make them anything but a curiosity.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Some KOMs do have do have slight reason for kudos.... the longer they are usually...
    I still have a "10" set on a dogleg A road (wide and quietish) route, so not normally part of a sensible cycle route.
    Held it for 4 years now.... last attempt by someone was last October.... first 5 and half miles is a false flat... usually deters the half hearted.
    I'd probably not get near my time now and I wouldnt bother re testing it either... it aint worth the pain .
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    imafatman wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    imafatman wrote:
    Making it pure power contest would be so dull.

The point of using power data is to compare whether someone was drafting behind a lorry or they actually put out serious watts. It also accounts for things like head/tail winds. Also stops people riding up on a scooter and claiming a KOM they didn't earn.

But as I said, I'm not bothered about KOMs, too many variables to make them anything but a curiosity.

Going really fast behind a lorry is dangerous, takes guts and a fair amount of stupidity. If someone wants to do that then I hope they have fun. I've 'lost' KoMs to bikes on cars. I don't care enough to report it. It's not of much interest to me to see what power others are doing on Strava leader boards.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Alex Dowsett took 50 or so KOMs in one ride the other week whilst out motorpacing... there was plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth and I think the ride was flagged.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    At least you're not going out and creating segments just so you are top which seems to be happening a lot near me. One guy created a segment, he was second, deleted it and remade it slightly shorter so he was top! So so shallow. Those are the ones just want to take off people just to pi ss them off royally.

I lost two KOMs that were in the same area and highly suspect this is why - both segments just vanished from the site. It's one of the main reasons I gave up on Strava as I was getting no other benefit from it.

As for does following a truck count? It does if you want it to, it won't to those who are placed 2nd, 3rd etc and didn't have the opportunity to draft a truck! But how will they ever know? (another reason I left Strava)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    GavH wrote:
    At least you're not going out and creating segments just so you are top which seems to be happening a lot near me. One guy created a segment, he was second, deleted it and remade it slightly shorter so he was top! So so shallow. Those are the ones just want to take off people just to pi ss them off royally.

I lost two KOMs that were in the same area and highly suspect this is why - both segments just vanished from the site. It's one of the main reasons I gave up on Strava as I was getting no other benefit from it.

As for does following a truck count? It does if you want it to, it won't to those who are placed 2nd, 3rd etc and didn't have the opportunity to draft a truck! But how will they ever know? (another reason I left Strava)

You don't need strava, you need a race number.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    There's some interesting views and strava is something I don't take too seriously. It's a great measure for your fitness and I fully accept that wind and weather can impact massively on times but it's good enough for me but I've never taken myself to seriously. Life is too short for that sh1t
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    GavH wrote:

The person who created the segments deleted them (maybe because they lost the KOM)... unfortunately, segments don't just vanish.
  • Dabber wrote:
    It's always nice to have bragging rights...

I had a KoM until recently that I set on a club run with a howling gale behind us. Last year's Tour de Yorkshire covered the same segment and they were giving it some stick, but into a very strong headwind. So my KoM survived and I can genuinely tell anyone who's interested that I am faster than the pros when on form...

Said KoM was taken from me recently by a clubmate on the same club run benefitting from an even stronger tailwind than I had. What goes around comes around, I suppose.

I have but one KoM remaining, from a charity sportive where I wheelsucked my way round other than a few points where I was at the front. I got the KoM by being at the back when passing the start and the front when passing the end! I think there was the odd "guest pro" in the field that day and once again they proved inadequate for the challenge I set them...
  • Does it count? Yes
    Is it morally wrong? Yes

Will you be the only one to have done that before? Absolutely not!
    Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram